Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default We would like a video about backing!

I am a new quilter and just getting used to all the terms. Jenny's videos on how to make quilts are awesome and I have made several of them now. However, I need help with how to do backing. I am doing machine quilting for now, so how to properly put on a backing is a mystery to me. For example, what size should it be? How do you center it with the top? Do you need to center it? What if your quilt is a few inches bigger than the width of the fabric? How do you add to the backing? I just made the backing the same size as the front but the batting makes it hard to "match them up". I need help, Jenny. Can you make a video for us newbies? Thanks.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: We would like a video about backing!

Oh yes. I could use this tut too!
    Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea...... me too
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

For help on your backing watch Jenny's 4 tutorials on making a baby blanket. I believe it's the third or fourth one that she backs this quilt.

Two other great techniques (for me) on these tutorials is the binding (not bias cut!) and the stitch she uses to sew it down, it just disappears - unlike my old 'whip' stitch.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Jenny's video gets you ready to do long arm quilting. I want to learn about doing quilting on my machine.

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I do my own quilting on the sewing machine (stitch in the ditch) and here's how I do it: Follow the steps in Jenny's baby quilt tutorial up to the point where you sandwich the back, batting and quilt top together and pin everything together. At that point, I trim the back and batting even with the quilt top and then stitch in the ditch being careful to avoid the safety pins. If the quilt top is smaller than your back piece, then you need to sew more fabric (identical of course) to the back to make it larger, and then trim it even with the quilt top. I usually use my leftover pieces from the back to make my binding strips.

I hope this helped.

Teresa

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Teresa, thank you for the tips. I will try the trim to size that you recommend. That's sort of what I have been doing, but I was "afraid" to cut them to the same size.

I have been pinning the heck of of the quilt to keep it from moving. That is my first issue, how to lay it all out so that when you pin it you don't get creases or folds. When I made the baby quilts then the fabric I bought was big enough to just lay it down, pin and then quilt. But when you get into larger quilts, what do you do to make the backing large enough? I have been putting borders on the back, but there has to be another way to do this so the back is larger than the front!