Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Menopause: A Brave New World... or something

While I haven't had the lab work to back it up, both my doc and I are satisfied that I'm finally entering menopause. We discovered this while I was sitting in his nice, air conditioned office last week, getting all dewy from the strain of sitting. This phenomenon also occurs while engaged in the strenuous activities of folding towels, picking out a seam, and reading. Also turning on the iron, setting a pan on the stove, and accessing the internet. What joy is mine! In addition, there's also the lovely "night sweats". I don't really get sweaty, just can't cool off. Unless I turn a fan on, and then I'm freezing within moments.

So my doc and I discussed this and he said we could run the tests, but asked me how I wanted to approach this. I had made my decision years ago: I will just ride it out. Hormone replacement therapy is known to prolong the overall length of time menopause takes. It also makes me a right nutter! I buy the oddest things, can't remember why I thought them necessary in the first place, and I'm the most emotional woman on the planet! Given that I'm already pretty emotional, that's saying quite a bit. While this may mean we spend the winter with the windows wide open, DH is in full support of my plan, since he's seen me when I get emotional and he'd like to avoid that unique experience whenever possible.

I half expected doc to fight me on this, but he was in complete agreement, though for different reasons. He said he will not prescribe any meds for menopause because they will put me at greater risk for heart attack and stroke. And since I'm already in a high risk category for those things, he'd just as soon not push me over the edge.

And so begins the latest phase in my life. Can't wait for it to be over. In the meantime, please send all your unused fans and unwanted ice trays to my house. I promise I'll send them back just as soon as this personal heat wave has ended!
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Menopause: A Brave New World... or something

Menopause isn't the Best of Times in a woman's life. Have no remedies to suggest but how about a little battery operated personal fan to carry with you?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, May! I've got a fan on my desk, several fans about the house, plus the air conditioning, and the air conditioning in the car. In theory, I should be fine. But I may have to check into a PFD: Personal Fanning Device.

Quote Originally Posted by MayinJerset View Post
    Menopause isn't the Best of Times in a woman's life. Have no remedies to suggest but how about a little battery operated personal fan to carry with you?
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a tough part of the aging process. I've been going through it for quite some time. I started taking HRT many years ago and have now reduced it to half the dosage. I guess eventually I'll get myself off it completely. There were several factors for going on it that I won't go into but I feel the HRT really improved the quality of my life. I know it's not for everyone and it is definitely something that should not be taken without some serious thought, weighing pros and cons.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you have to go through this, but do you know how lucky you are to have a hubby to be a part of decissions and being informed about what your going through.
    I started this when I was 27 and still having problems.
    Good luck

Jean Anne

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the club. I am on BHRT (bio identical hormone replacement therapy). Working with a compounding pharmacist who is wonderful. I am VERY estrogen sensitive and barely need any, I am also on progesterone and DHEA. All are topical creams, so they can be adjusted/tweaked without making a new batch of pills. I rarely had hot flashes....just periods of time where I couldn't get cooled off, but not bad. The night sweats were awful, now they are totally gone. Like you I was/am always super emotional and when all of the "mental"pause started it got so much worse! I thought I was just going to have a meltdown watching sad or moving commercials on TV!!! Now that is under control too. Still emotional, but don't cry if someone just looks at me. My primary care doctor put me on premarin as soon as I mentioned the symptoms, then I saw the pharmacist and found out that premarin is made from PREgnant MARe urine. OMG!!! I went home, dumped it in the toilet & flushed!! Told doc no more premarin!!! Premarin is estrogen and it is what I don't need, I need very little of that....it's the progesterone that I was lacking. Gotta look out for myself instead of having blind faith in my doctor. Love him, but still have to question some things some times. Take care and hang in there!
    Last edited by Terri; August 15th, 2014 at 05:18 AM.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I can feel your pain girl lol.
    I have been having a terrible time with some horrible symptoms ,I have seen a consultant and I am awaiting for an op to help reduce my bleeding and check things out ,I do feel a bit better on hrt but it took 3m to settle symptoms down still having burning down below and burning in my legs and feet horrid .menopause is not for the faint hearted
    love and hugs Edwina .x

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Meli, I rode the 'estrogen wave' (Premarin) for as long as a could (maybe 4-5 years) because the hot flashes were RIDICULOUS. But my doc felt the at my current age (56), the risks outweighed the benefits.
    Once the 'surges' (20-30/day, and very sleepless nights) started back up again, I was beside myself! After speaking with my sister (also menopausal), I asked my doc for Effexor XR, 37.5 mg daily. It worked almost immediately for her, and thought it might for me. And it HAS, I'm happy to report! (Effexor XR, is marketed as an anti-depressant...)
    I'm not crazy about throwing another pill down my throat daily, but it has made my symptoms disappear.
    I hope this helps someone, it sure has helped me!
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Like you, I am riding out menopause without hormone replacement therapy. I do take Ambiem to help with sleepless nights. I don't take them every night and never take more than half a pill. The "personal climate moments" are getting much better but they still creep up on me on occasion.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the world of........why is my pillow so hot?.......why am I so hungry......I just ate 5 minutes ago!.........What does that look mean?.........if I don't get chocolate now, I'm going to choke someone.......why is my skin crawling........what was I saying........where was I going..........what was I doing.......oh look a shiny object!.........why am I crying....it's just a commercial.......all my clothes are bugging me.......why is it so hot in here......why do I feel so jittery....where is my to to list & what was I going to write.................................................. ........................................

and on and on and on! Feel free to add to the list.......I know there are plenty more......

My DH tell me I have "Shiny Object Syndrome"..........very easily distracted.....and course he says this in a humorous way.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?