Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Heat-n-Bond Woes

My step-sister just had a baby. Her last name is Woolf, so, of course, I knew the baby quilt I would make would have to have a wolf on it! Slowly, slowly a design took shape in my head and last week I finally dug in and got started. My artistic skills are iffy on the best of days so there are parts of this quilt that were a real challenge for me. (Read: anything for which I had to make a pattern). The first step of the project was to build the background of sky and rolling hills. I found this fantastic fabric that has great color gradation from dark to light and back to dark. When trying to figure out how to attach said hills to the sky portion, I decided I'd use some sort of fusible bond And it worked really well! However, now that it's in place I find it is stiff as a board . I'm pretty certain washing isn't going to help it at all, and I don't know if anything will. Despite my concerns, I kept going. I am now at the point where it just needs a border and then I can layer/quilt. And I'm wishing I hadn't used that heat-n-bond! My choices are:
    1) I can just keep going and hope for the best.
    2) I can scrap it and start over from the beginning
    3) I can try to disassemble it and replace the rolling hills using spray adhesive rather than heat-n-bond.

What would you do?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140810_120129 (450x800).jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	84120

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140810_120135 (800x450).jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	84121
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

2. Thanks Claire OneStitchAtATime thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Heat-n-Bond Woes

OMG, I say what ever you do you have to finish this! Maybe it will be a wall hanging? I don't know enough about the heat and bond that you used. I don't know if that will soften up when it is washed. Somebody will come along and be able to answer that for you but I wanted to drop in and say what a darling quilt this is. Congrats to your family on the new little "pup"!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My experience with heat and bond has been similar. I tried making a golf scene on a small duvet for my husband and ended up with stiffness. Plus, when I stitched around it, my needle got so gummy. When I washed it, it just got kind of wrinkly, but not a whole lot softer. I like the wall hanging idea. It is really adorable.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, you just made up my mind. New quilt, same pattern, no heat-n-bond.

As for making this one a wall hanging, I don't know. What the picture doesn't show you is all the other problems with it like seams not matching up and other things I hoped would disappear in the washing process.

Quote Originally Posted by LRM View Post
    My experience with heat and bond has been similar. I tried making a golf scene on a small duvet for my husband and ended up with stiffness. Plus, when I stitched around it, my needle got so gummy. When I washed it, it just got kind of wrinkly, but not a whole lot softer. I like the wall hanging idea. It is really adorable.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is soooo cute! I use the ulta light. I did a mug rug with lots of over laping pieces and you couldn't even feel it.

I'm going to ask out of curiosity (so don't throw anything at me) Did you over lap the mountains in full pieces. or only cover it about 1/4 inch?

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

When I use Heat 'n Bond I always use the HnB light and the first class I took with appliqué we were taught to cut out your shape a little outside the line that you traced, then if the piece you want to appliqué is more than an inch or so in size, cut out the center of the shape about 1/4" inside the traced line. Then iron it on the back of the fabric and cut out on the traced line. Sometimes depending on the shape of the item you will have to be careful that you don't distort the shape before you iron the HnB on the fabric - without the center of the HnB it's flimsier but you don't have all the bulk of the HnB. Hope this makes sense.
    Dawn
    A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you search YouTube for window fuseable appliqué there a few videos that show this technique. When I have large appliqué shapes this helps keep them soft.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also hate the stiffness heat and bond gives. Great for a wall hanging NOT a quilt. I have used steam a seam 2 for a fusible it is much softer, but still sometimes not soft enough. I also sometimes just use a glue stick to hold all in position till sewn and quilted. It washes out and you have a beautiful soft quilt.
    Your quilt is adorable and a great idea!
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

The different bonds go from xtra light to heavy, the heavier you get the stiffer the results. But it is beautiful, don't scrap it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lorie, they are truly overlapping in many, many ways. Let's just say I'm grateful that, no matter what happens, no one is ever going to see the construction aspect of this particular project!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    That is soooo cute! I use the ulta light. I did a mug rug with lots of over laping pieces and you couldn't even feel it.

I'm going to ask out of curiosity (so don't throw anything at me) Did you over lap the mountains in full pieces. or only cover it about 1/4 inch?