Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default free motion quilting

Hi there...

I would like to get into free motion quilting. I'm using a brother sewing machine and don't know what kind of foot to get: open toe quilting or a darning foot. Can anyone help?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: free motion quilting

I bought an inexpensive darning foot like the one in this video. I also made the adjustments that Leah Day shows in the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwbNPgnP8r4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APD6s7PwoqU
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

3. Thanks Beastsgirl thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am by no means even remotely good at fmq, but have been using a closed to foot. I recently purchased an open toe foot after watching a Leah Day video and it is much easier to see what you're doing with the open toe. I think the two feet you are speaking of do the same thing, except one is open, one is not. Just called different names, I think. If you are planning on getting a new foot, definitely get an open toe!

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother and tried to use the plastic closed toe darning foot that came with the machine. In frustration I bought the metal open toe and it made a HUGE difference. There are modification that can be done to the plastic foot but I didn't try. Good Luck.
    Janet

"You cannot use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have."

Maya Angelou

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the help gonna go start looking for a foot online!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the cheap plastic foot and used it for fmq on my cheap singer sewing machine. It hopped quite a bit even after the modifications Leah Day suggested. I now have a much better machine and am using the open toe foot that came with the machine. It has made a world of difference. I would not recommend going the cheapo way if you can avoid it. You will get better results and have less frustration if you use the right foot for your machine (just my experience with this).