Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Purple Cross Wall Hanging

Gorgeous. Looks very classy. It will be very much loved I am sure. Nice work
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It is really beautiful!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan... Did you have a pattern? Or Directions for this project? I've been looking on the internet and can't find any.

I'd really like to make this, if you don't mind sharing, can you tell me how you did it?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I recently found something like that on pinterest and I've been meaning to try
    "Only God is perfect, my quilts don't have to be!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post
    Ryan... Did you have a pattern? Or Directions for this project? I've been looking on the internet and can't find any.

I'd really like to make this, if you don't mind sharing, can you tell me how you did it?
    It is pretty easy if you are familiar with the standard log cabin block. The trick is to make one set of blocks, then make the second set as a mirror image so if you sewed a strip to the left side on one, you need to sew that strip to the right side on other other block.

Here is the picture of the top again so you can see the seams in the finished product. Everything is made with 1.5" wide strips of fabric.

As you can see the center cross is just sashing between 4 log cabin blocks (2 standard and 2 stretched).

Here is a quick diagram I made which shows how the strips need to be added in numerical order for one block (the second block for the top of the cross should be the mirror image and the same for the lower blocks).

As you can probably tell, this is the top left corner of the cross.

Start with two 1.5"x1.5" squares and two 1.5"x10.5" strips of "color #1".

Sew additional 1.5"strips in number order using the diagram above. I used long strips and just trimmed them to length after sewing. **IMPORTANT**Make sure to make one block look like the picture and the second block the mirror image.**

Once you have 4 blocks (two squares like the pic below and two rectangles from the 10.5" strips of color #1 which are assembled the same way) then sash in between them with a 4th color (preferably contrasting or much darker) to make the center cross then add an outer border of the neutral/background. Between the picture of my finished product and the diagram I made it should not be too hard to make this block with simple 1.5" wide strips of the various fabrics. Just go slow and it helps to lay out the 4 blocks on a spare cutting mat or something so you can look at them as you add each strip to make sure each piece you add is still building the cross shape.

I used part of a fat-eight bundle (lots of leftover) for the purples and yardage for the white.

I hope this helps.
    Loosely based on a true story.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

BEAUTIFUL! I'll save this for when I'm a little more accomplished!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

BTW Happy Anniversary!