Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Cool talking borders...I've finished a quilt top and wondering how you quilters add the borders?

Hi, I'm going to do straight borders because it's a busy top and straight borders take less fabric and once it's quilted I don't think anyone will notice. My question is this...my quilt will have 2 borders, a thin one and then a 6 incher- do you sew the borders together first and then add them to the quilt or do you add the thin border to the quilt then sew on the wider one? Thank you, Sadie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: talking borders...I've finished a quilt top and wondering how you quilters add the borders?

I do each border separately.

3. Thanks bajasadie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: talking borders...I've finished a quilt top and wondering how you quilters add the borders?

I also do each border separately.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

5. Thanks bajasadie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sew each border on separately unless you are planning to miter the corners. Then it works best to sew the borders together and handle them like one unity. For what you want to do, sew them on separately.

7. Thanks bajasadie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would answer the same as bubby. Each method gives a different look. I just did a pictorial border where the bottom is mitered and the top is straight.
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
    Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

9. Thanks bajasadie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do each separately, too...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit