Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default He cleaned up my sewing room!!?!?!?

A few weeks ago, I was got one of those phone calls we dread. Basically, my 93 yr old father was killing himself by trying to visit his wife every day at rehab. She fell and after a week in the hospital, she was sent to rehab. Dad was driving himself every day and staying with her from 9am till 9pm. He wouldn't listen to anyone, so finally my step brother called and said it was close to an emergency without being a disaster. I was able to get a flight to Georgia and get there in less than 20 hours since the call (pretty darn good coming from Canada). Yes, my step brother made the right decision to call me. I set up a schedule for visits and did all the driving. Breakfast. then visit rehab 11-2 so they could have lunch together,then home for rest/nap, back to rehab 5-7:30 (dinner), home to watch the Braves and then bed. I could see an improvement within days. Her family decided it was time for a change and started the move to a retirement village (very nice BTW). Finally, step-mom was released and she and Dad moved into a beautiful apartment. Let's just say the move was needed but not totally appreciated. They are adjusting.

Finally, I came home after three weeks away. It just so happened that hubby had his two week vacation while I was gone -yeah, typical! we had to cancel our plans What that meant was my sweet husband was home alone for TWO weeks. He changed cable companies-which is great except I have to learn new remotes for the tv, he cleaned the house, rearranged the kitchen, moved some furniture, etc. Yeah, bored hubby plus empty house is dangerous.

But here is where dangerous becomes . . . serious. He was so proud of himself. He picks me up at the airport and as we chat on the way home he casually throws out that since the cable guy had to go into my sewing room, he decided to give it a facelift. oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (here is where I have to admit that the room was a disaster area as I was in the middle of rearranging fabric, putting it on comic book boards, arranging by color, etc. Yeah, piles of fabric but the shelves were nicely organized-not so much anymore. All fabric was shoved into the wall unit, furniture was rearranged, things put in empty plastic boxes (hey, I was getting there, I had the plastic boxes LOL). As I stood in the doorway of the room with hubby behind me (waiting for me to oooh and ahhh), I was in a state of shock. I mean, the room looks great. But I have no idea where anything is. I took a big breath, turned around and kissed hubby. "Thanks so much, sweety"

Later, I gently told him that I would be moving the sewing machine cabinet back to where it was before when I sew as there was a reason for the set up. He totally understood and said he only did it so it looked good for the cable guy (which is sweet cause I KNOW he doesn't care a bit what the cable guy thinks). It may take me years to find everything.

Next time, I will make sure the sewing room is slightly picked up, the furniture is bolted down and maybe even lock the door.
    Last edited by RiverMomm; August 3rd, 2014 at 12:13 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: He cleaned up my sewing room!!?!?!?

How sweet of your hubby to help out like that. You're more understanding than I.

Hubby and I have an understanding. He doesn't mess with my sewing room and I don't mess with his woodworking shed. We have different methods of organization. They don't mesh well.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We have been married 35 years and this was the first time he has ever touched anything in my sewing area (except for that learning curve about scissors when we first married). I think he was trying to help me as he knew how tired I was.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had to chuckle. My furniture is all attached to the wall as my sewing area is in our bedroom. Boy I would welcome someone coming in and cleaning the rest of my house though. LOL
    Be blessed,
    Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Glad your Dad and step Mom all moved in, they'll get used to it soon and really love it.

Good DH you have there. Whenever I left my DH alone in the house for a few days the only surprise I had was a sink full of dishes and dishtowels, books and other items laid on almost every flat surface. He would always jump up from his chair where he was reading and watching TV and also napping quite a bit and say, "I was just going to load the dishwasher and pick everything up". Yeah, I believed him.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love that you can write "the learning curve about scissors" and we ALL know exactly what you mean!

I'm glad your Dad's situation has worked out so well. As for finding things in your sewing room...think of it as a scavenger hunt.
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

But, don't you know his heart was definitely in the right place?

Difficult decisions with parents - but we do wind up in a position where we have to be the ones making decisions for them. I'm certain they will settle in and love their new home.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Vicky, it's the thought that counts, right? LOL!!

You are a good daughter to take care of your Dad like that.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I feel your pain with not being able to find anything. In 2013 we decided to sell our house and relocate to a different state with better climate. The housing market was red hot, so we knew the house would sell quickly. I quickly packed up my sewing room so we could turn it back into a bedroom. I just threw everything in the boxes, knowing I would sort it out on the other end after we moved. Two weeks after we listed our house the county started major road construction on the only road to our house. It was down to bare dirt and gravel literally for the next six months. Need less to say we only got one low ball offer on our house. I still can't find some stuff, like patterns I know I bought. There is no point in unpacking because we will try again next spring to sell the house.

Lesson learned.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yikes! I can't imagine someone else rearranging my sewing space, love the scissors story! I write on the blade " touch this and Die!" To just keep things out of the wrong hands!

11. Thanks Daytonalady thanked for this post