Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question: Has anyone here made the spicy spiral table runner?

Hi folks.

You may remember that last week I posted a picture of a Spicy Spiral tablerunner I started in a class last Saturday. Well I finished the machine quilting today (just SITD) but finished just the same. I was very proud of myself after I made about 5 yards of bias binding from a fat quarter- a really neat on line tutorial. Then tried to put the binding on- no problem EXCEPT I cant figure out for the life of me how to go around the pointed corner of the runner.
    Can anyone help me? If I can't figure this out, I may have to go back to the quilt shop but it is 50 miles away so I 'd rather not go back just for this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140726_173000_resized.jpg 
Views:	956 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	83494Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140801_185829_resized.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	83495
    Grandma Nan

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

2. Thanks cv quilter thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Question: Has anyone here made the spicy spiral table runner?

Tiffany

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Tiffany

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Tiffany

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Grandma Nan, when I made mine , I didn't use any batting, I just put a backing on it. Put right sides together and sewed it inside out. Then, turned it out and stitched along the edge. As for your binding, I think you would do it the same as if you doing the corner of a quilt. It would just be a bit different. You know when you get to the edge, you stay back a 1/4 inch, turn as if you were going down the next side, fold it back, then start sewing again. That is what I would do. Hopefully, this works for you. Even if you used batting to machine quilt it. you could still sew another fabric on the underside, just like I did without any batting. Hope this makes sense.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

all the other videos i find don't do the 60 degree corner. sorry.

but maybe if you purchase the tool it will come with some sort of instructions.
    Tiffany

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Grandma Nan,
    I did the same thing as Annette when I did mine. I just sewed the backing to the quilted top right sides together and left a small opening to turn it inside out and then stitched the opening shut. I think you could do the same even with the batting already quilted on. My pattern did not include using binding. I think it might take away from the "curvy" look of the table runner. Good luck!

9. Thanks Auntpiggylpn thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Grandma Nan, I love this runner. Your color palette is perfection! I haven't tried this pattern, but reading the responses you got I guess I agree that seaming the edge preserves the sharpness of the shape you've created. The binding will soften that, no matter how perfectly you sew it. I guess it comes down to the look you are trying to achieve with your runner. What ever you choose, it will be beautiful.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annette Ackley View Post
    Grandma Nan, when I made mine , I didn't use any batting, I just put a backing on it. Put right sides together and sewed it inside out. Then, turned it out and stitched along the edge. As for your binding, I think you would do it the same as if you doing the corner of a quilt. It would just be a bit different. You know when you get to the edge, you stay back a 1/4 inch, turn as if you were going down the next side, fold it back, then start sewing again. That is what I would do. Hopefully, this works for you. Even if you used batting to machine quilt it. you could still sew another fabric on the underside, just like I did without any batting. Hope this makes sense.
    Totally makes sense Annette. I did try that but in order to get the point "pointy" it goes on a curve and there's a lot of material to try to turn. I am afraid to cut anything off at this point as I don't have much more fabric to make another binding if I muck it up. Next time it is going to get done the way you did it sewing it inside out. Thanks for your help.
    Nancy
    Grandma Nan

Nancy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanym View Post
    thank you for these videos. I was hoping not to have to buy another tool that measures angles. The wedge ruler for the runner is over $20.00 so this runner ends up costing a lot of money for a table runner. However, I do love the pattern so maybe I will have to buy it. My problem is I, learn best from seeing someone actually do it, then I'm ok. I have a hard time trying to take it and apply it to another project. Yikes I should have started doing this when I was younger and my brain was more flexible.
    Grandma Nan

Nancy