Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fair use of other people's ideas?

Where is the line, morally, when borrowing someone else's ideas for a quilting project?

I want to make a quilty version of this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1882233...with-tennessee

The tri-star is from the Tennessee state flag which is where I am from and where much of my family still lives. If this was just some random image I came across on the internet, I'd probably just make it and not give it another though. Complicating things is that the person who makes the item I linked to is actually a friend/acquaintance of mine. We aren't close friends but we went to high school together and we occasionally chat on facebook.

I want to make one or two quilty versions of this as wall hangings for gifts. I have no interest in selling them or in any way competing with her business.

Should I ask permission/tell her what I intend to do or is my making a wall hanging based loosely on this idea considered fair use with no explanation needed. The tri-star is part of a state flag and she in no way owns the exclusive rights to it and I would be using a different "font" for the lettering. I'm happy to credit her as my inspiration if posting pictures of the finished product.

What do you think- Is this the sort of thing that I should ask permission for or am I well within my rights to make a wall hanging for personal use because nothing in the source material is copyrighted or proprietary.
    Loosely based on a true story.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fair use of other people's ideas?

Make it. No need for permission. If it was exactly the same, on a board then you might need to worry.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I second Karen's opinion. If you used wood as well to make the wallhanging, that would be different, but you're using another medium, another technique. And if you link to her etsy site when you post pictures of your quilt, I think that's plenty fair.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are fine making it as a quilt, it was your inspiration piece. Even if you were making it out of wood for your own home, you wouldn't be the first to do so. As long as you wouldn't be out to compete as a business than you're ok.

Think when you post your finished quilt it would be nice to give her credit as your muse so to speak.
    Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

5. Thanks JAM thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are ok. You are not exactly copying given that you have to develop a pattern for your quilty project and techniques are quite different. The stars are part of the flag so I think you can use that in a respectful manner. You will have to applique the stars- she painted them. Not a copyright lawyer but in MHO there are enough differences so that it is not the same. If you're not selling then I would not worry.
    Grandma Nan

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - I think that you are merely taking the general idea and creating something different out of it

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all the above. You have no intention of selling them and you used different medium so go for it. We all get inspiration from a variety of places, pinterest, a flower garden someones piece of clothing, a design we seen in fabric. As long as your not selling it your ok, and you could always link to her page and say this was my inspiration.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would make it. If I chose to publish the picture of the quilt on my blog or on FB, I would mention the source of my inspiration and include a link to their website. If I did not publish it, then there is nothing to be done.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Make it.....inspiration comes from many sources. Tile floors, setting sun, flowers, photos and a lot more. If you were making the exact same thing then it might be an issue.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I do not see why you could not make the same exact thing for yourself. I do not see that anyone owns rights to those type of things. My dad makes all kinds of wood craft - the same as probably thousands of people do. He doesn't advertise, but sometimes someone looks at what he made and they say, I am going to make one of these myself. My dad takes that as a compliment. We see things in life all the time and go home and duplicate what we saw. I feel no need to ask anyone's permission to make something that is out there for anyone to see.

Sorry for being so bold, but my freedom is mine to do as I like. I see no reason to credit anyone for the way I live. I copy ideas all the time. Hanging something the same as someone else did, making something I saw in the store because it was easy to do myself. I do not think there is anyone out there that can say they have never done this.

Even as quilters we may have seen a design out there at some point on a quilt and then duplicate it ourselves. I do not see where we have to give credit to anyone. Are you going to keep a list of everything you see in life and the persons name so you can credit them later. Not even reasonable.

The only thing in this case you might do, is share with your friend you made it for yourself, thanks for the inspiration. If you were to really do research, you could probably find many others who have already made the same item.
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can