Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Which thread to use.....

Hi, when I'm sewing a quilt top together I usually use Gutermann 100% polyester. I read an article in a quilt magazine so I bought Guterman 100% cotton/cotton. My machine didn't like it, it started bunching up when I started sewing, gathering & all kinds of trouble- so I'm wanting to know what you folks use and what your thoughts are on the 100% cotton/ cotton. Thank you ~Sadie
    BTW, a favorite spool of thread purchased and used not to long ago was King Tut...I loved it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Which thread to use.....

My machine doesn't seem to care and I use several different brands but I prefer the 50 wt aurifil, 100% cotton.
    Vernona

3. Thanks bajasadie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've never used Guterman thread. I use 100% cotton 50 wt. for piecing. It might be Coats & Clark, or it might be a large cone I get at my LQS. JCY

5. Thanks bajasadie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My Viking is picky about threads, but my Juki will take just about anything I've tried. I use a lot of Aurifil, Wonderfil. I just bought some Cairo from Bobbin Central (seems like it will be similar to Aurifil/Wonderfil). All of these I use for piecing, plus my old stash of Gutterman, Coats & Clark...whatever matches the fabric. For quilting I can also use the Aurifil, Wonderfil, Cairo, Superior and I love the King Tut too! I ordered some Glide for quilting. Only done a sample so far and it's very nice, and very reasonably priced. I hear that Superior threads Masterpiece & Bottom Line are great, but they are a bit more pricey so I haven't tried them yet.

Try some different ones out and see what works with your machine.

By the way, you if you want to try out some from Bobbin Central, they will waive the $35 minimum if you call and ask.

7. Thanks bajasadie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a lot of success with aurifil (50 wt cotton) for piecing, and with Isacord (40 wt poly) for FMQ - definitely when I am doing curvy lines. I have also used King Tut (30 wt cotton) for quilting, but mostly for straight line quilting. I do like the effect of the thicker thread. I am experimenting with Bottom Line bobbin thread. I have used it several times in the bobbin with other threads for FMQ. With my current project, I did stitch in the ditch with Bottom Line in both the bobbin and top thread. Bottom Line is 60 wt poly, very thin. I really liked it for SITD, as it was difficult to see the thread on the top of the quilt.

My sister has stopped using Gutterman cotton for her piecing, because of how much lint it produces - probably what you experienced. Some "quilt police" will insist that piecing must be done with cotton thread. My last quilting instructor, with over 30 years of experience, uses polyester thread for her piecing. So much for the 'police'!

Cotton thread does produce more lint, and some machines seem to prefer certain brands. You may also want to experiment with the size of your needle. I had constant problems with Sulky threads (30 wt, polly - I think) until I saw that they recommended a #90 needle. I put in that size needle, and problems eliminated.

So, go with what works for you, but also take some time to experiment with other threads, just for the variety and to have options for different situations.
    Last edited by Sylvia H; August 1st, 2014 at 12:11 AM.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Bernina and a Viking machine and both machines like the Gutermann Mara 100, a 50 wt poly thread from Wawak.com. It is practically lint free. However, once when piecing, my iron was "too hot" and I melted it. While I really like the thread, I try to use cotton for piecing. I like Aurifil. I am also trying out the Aurifil bobbin thread, a 60 wt. from fabric.com, when piecing. My advise would be, if you like poly, stick with it, just watch the temp on your iron...
    Karen

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use all kinds of thread, Coats & Clark; Gutterman polyester and the cotton/cotton; Aurifil and some that I have inherited from one of my late sisters. I do notice that different threads produce differing amounts of lint.........some are really bad, but so far my machine manages to handle it all (I have a Singer 6268). When threads produce alot of lint, I tend to do a thorough cleaning just after refilling the bobbin.
    Sandy B.
    "A heart that gives will never be empty."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Some machines are very fussy about the kind of thread they will accept. It's a matter of finding a thread you like that works well in your machine. I sew with all cotton thread - either Aurifil or the Egyptian cotton thread from ConnectingThreads.com - Exclusive Quilting Fabric, Quilt Fabric by the yard, Quilting Thread, Quilting Kits, Patterns & Quilt Supplies. There are many very good brands of thread.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I love thread topics I'm glad you wrote about this I am just guessing what my machine likes right now. The last thread I used made it angry now its just throwing down stitches with a loud clunk. lolz
    SDT