Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Let There Be LIGHT!!

I LOVE my sewing area, but if I could change anything, I would want more down lighting on top my sewing table and work space. I have 3 desktop Daylite lamps on my table as it is and position one lamp on either side of my machine and one in the back to adequately light my sewing area. The lamps give great light, but they are always in the way of my larger quilts when quilting and binding.

I had seen various sewing machine LED light systems for sale that offer 3 to 6 LED light strips to place on the top of the throat space but they seemed awfully expensive for those few lights...even bright lights. SO I happened to be searching on Amazon last week and found a sewing machine LED set that had a bunch more lights in its strip. In fact the strip was so long you could buy an extension kit and turn it into 2 separate LED strips for 2 machines! Amazon only sells the original strip set, not the extension kit so I went to the product website to check it out. They have great customer service...I chatted with a rep online from their website and found out exactly what I needed. Just got the kit in the mail today and installed it tonight on my little 7.5" throat Brother machine.

The website has an installation video, but it was easy to install. The hardest part is making sure how you want to position the strip and how many lights you want before you remove the adhesive. The adhesive is designed to stick as soon as you place it so don't plan on repositioning it after it sticks!

The basic kit for one machine is $30 and that strip has a bunch of LED lights on it...more than any one machine would use I imagine. The expansion kit is $15 and gives you extra clips, cable, power adaptor and off/on switch so you can make 2 useable strips out of the one long one they send you. $45 and free shipping for both.

My strip had 60 LEDs on it and I only used 18 for my Brother but that was all I could fit on the throat. I now have a strip with 42 LEDs remaining and can install on another machine as needed.

I will let the photos speak for themselves. You can watch the video and get more details on their website at:

Sewing Machine LED Lighting Kit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MACHINE LIGHTS ON ONLY SM.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	83283Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED AND MACHINE LIGHTS ON SM.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	159.4 KB 
ID:	83284Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED THROAT CLOSEUP SM.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	83285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED LIGHTS INSTALLED SM.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	83286Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED LIGHTS CLIPS ON BACK SM.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	159.1 KB 
ID:	83287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LED LIGHTS OFF-ON SWITCH SM.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	83288
    Last edited by Sewbee; July 30th, 2014 at 03:13 AM.
    Linda
    -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

2. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Let There Be LIGHT!!

I think it's wonderful you found something that works. I think you will get a bunch of thank you's for this find!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Really clever, and it looks like it swirls well..... Thanks for the information.

Is that a Brother Simplicity? I just bought one thus sprung, and love it.... It Aldo looks like the Brother 420,.....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Linda, thank you so much for sharing this great find, and especially for these terrific photos. I've been mulling over the lighting issue too, but I have been reluctant to order the tiny gooseneck design lights. This solution seems more economical and more effective. Please let us know how how this light works out as you sew using it at different times of day.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

wowzers! Now your project runway machine looks like a runway Love the brightness - I use an Ott and move it around as needed, but I like your idea

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, so glad you posted this! I have been trying to figure out a solution for both of my machines and had been looking at the LED strip lights.
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This looks like a wonderful find for sewists who can never get enough light! Thanks for sharing!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for this link! I sure can use this! I bought one little LED light on a goose neck and for the price I paid, I could light up my whole table! Well, not quite, but it's getting closer!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

WOW. That certainly solves the problems so many of us face with extra lamps all over the place - constantly in the way.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. I bought one for myself and one for my daughter's birthday in September. I always need more light.