Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Juicing Vegetables

Because I eat very little veggies, my friends suggest that I juice some vegetables and drink a glass of them 4 times a week. This was my first day and I was warned that it wouldn't taste very good, and they were right. The drink has spinach, broccoli, carrot and tomato in it. Is there any good recipe out there for a good tasting veggie drink?
    Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Juicing Vegetables

You really should just eat the veggies for the fiber too. The juice is mostly useless.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    You really should just eat the veggies for the fiber too. The juice is mostly useless.
    Oh, I'm drinking the fiber from them too. I am liquifying them in a blender not a juicer. I agree that I should just eat them but I usually don't fix them, so I'm trying to see if I can come up with a way to make sure that I get the nutrients that I need to be eating.
    Coleen

"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good I can do, or any kindness I can show, let me do now, for I will not pass through this way again."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Crowne Royale and 7up?
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of juicing and I mix fruit with my veggies. Try putting some pineapple in them. I also use a lot of berries.
    Marilyn (the one in Arizona)
    Quilting is like love.
    Enter it with Abandon or not at all.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

They are not that difficult to cook. I like to roast or steam most veg, that I cook.
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    Crowne Royale and 7up?
    Oh my! I spit iced tea on my screen!

I'd much rather eat my veggies as a salad. Spinach, diced tomatoes, shaved carrots, a bit of thinly sliced red cabbage, a few slices of mushrooms, and some thin slices of sweet onion (add or subtract veggies as your taste prefers). Add a bit of balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper and done.
    I'd gag if you put it in a blender and then wanted me to drink it! Even if you added Crown and 7-up to make it a cocktail like Pat suggested. Unless she meant that you drink the bottle of Crown Royal BEFORE you drank the juiced stuff. Then you probably wouldn't care what it tastes like.

I googled Veggie Juice recipes and got a boat load of links.

This one looked OK. Vegetable Juice Recipes What do I know. Our juicer hasn't been used since Grandpa lived with us 9 years ago.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Carrots and orange makes a good drink

and ginger is always good and I think parsnips is nice to.

But most popular is fruits of all kind.

Good luck

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I like V-8 juice, you can get it low-sodium. Also, when making vegetable soup or beef stew, I replace some of the water with a large can of V-8.

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I've been able to work in a few veggies into the morning smoothies. We use a blender not a juicer.
    I love spinach+carrot best though... trader joe's used to press this fresh juice that was magical.. but I think I was the only one drinking it. LOL

The combination you've started with may be too acidic and bitter. There's no rounded sweetness except for the tomatoes, and they're an odd flavor you can mimic with equal parts beets to carrots with a big squeeze of lemon. Carrots tend to be a lighter sweet..

This is the basic recipe that we just modify to fit (swapping the fruit+greens for what's in season. I detest parsley and banana....)
    A Month?s Worth of Green Smoothies ? Only One Day of Prep!
    Then you can add in a little greek yogurt+honey or juice instead of water... It's worth playing around with.
    These http://thechicsite.com/2014/02/03/pre-packed-smoothies/ are all fruit, but swap out 1/2 for dark leafy greens (kale, spinach, sweet potato leaves) and you're good to go.

Fill out the flavors, and you might be happier with the whole experience. Start on the sweeter side so they're more treat like and gradually swap in more and different veggies. <-got the 12yo to request kale for breakfast... if that doesn't speak volumes idk what does.