Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default question on the jelly roll race quilt

What size does the quilt top end up if you use one jelly roll? Thanks in advance as I know someone here will know the answer to this question.
    Grandma Nan

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: question on the jelly roll race quilt

Mine ended up about 49 1/2" (trimmed width) x 64 1/2" length... but that was before I added the borders.

Laura

3. Thanks Grandma Nan thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at Jean Sewing Machine's User Notes. She has a lot of great information there on Jelly Roll Race Quilts as well as other things too. She also has some You Tube Videos on making one - very helpful stuff!!

5. Thanks Grandma Nan thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt Lakeside View Post
    Mine ended up about 49 1/2" (trimmed width) x 64 1/2" length... but that was before I added the borders.

Laura
    This is about the usual size, depending on low long your actual strips are and how you sew them together to make the long strip. Also, if you have more strips it will be wider but usually 62-64" long ( 32 rows of 2" each row). The JRR2 with the 2-1/2" blocks in between the strips will be wider.

I have several user notes on how to make them longer and wider. See the last ones for an updated technique that I just developed and tested.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; July 27th, 2014 at 11:26 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't know how to get to the user notes, just click on their forum names and it will take you to their profiles and you can find their user notes there. I know when I first joined I had a little trouble navigating around.

If you go to Jean's, make sure you have a nice drink with you and be prepared to browse/read awhile! Her notes are awesome!
    Vonnie

8. Thanks Grandma Nan thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Vonnie, agreed her notes are awesome! Really helped me!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vonnie View Post
    If you don't know how to get to the user notes, just click on their forum names and it will take you to their profiles and you can find their user notes there. I know when I first joined I had a little trouble navigating around.

If you go to Jean's, make sure you have a nice drink with you and be prepared to browse/read awhile! Her notes are awesome!
    Sorry, I get carried away, there are only 65 of them to read, besides, it helps me to remember how to do stuff when I haven't done a particular technique in a while. Like put a zipper in a tote bag, which I screwed up big time because I didn't lool at the notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    This is about the usual size, depending on low long your actual strips are and how you sew them together to make the long strip. Also, if you have more strips it will be wider but usually 62-64" long ( 32 rows of 2" each row). The JRR2 with the 2-1/2" blocks in between the strips will be wider.

I have several user notes on how to make them longer and wider. See the last ones for an updated technique that I just developed and tested.
    Thanks so much Jean. I think that this is a great way to get a couple of kids quilts done quickly.
    Grandma Nan

Nancy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, thank you everyone. I think these will make good kids sized quilts. Now I just need to find some fun boy colours. I think I will check out the one Jenny mentioned in her tutorial. She mentioned it comes in male and female versions.
    Grandma Nan

Nancy