• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FunkiQuilter
    Rotary Pro
    • Nov 2009

Hugs and More Snack

My mom asked me to make a snack for the center of our tables this year at our Christmas get-together. It had to be something most people like and a finger-food. It had to be served in small bowls. She did not tell me if it had to be healthy or not, so I picked not-healthy. (Hey, she said most people have to like it.) She just wanted something people could snack on while waiting for everyone to arrive. Well, what I made went over so well that the people that arrived last didn't even get any. I was asked by many people there exactly how to make them and my phone rang all night once I was home from people asking me exactly how to make them. (I have a LARGE family.) So, since they went over so well with my family, I thought I would share how to make them with all of you. I am sure that someone else invented them and that they have a proper name, but I don't know what it is. We just called them HUGS AND MORE.

I preheated the oven to 200 degrees. (Do not heat it above 225 or they will melt to fast on the outside.)

I laid small pretzels on a metal ungreased cookie sheet. (The square ones that look like a waffle print work and taste the best.)

On each of the pretzels I placed a Hershey Hug. (Unwrapped of course.)

I stuck them in the oven and watched them closely. When they start to get shiny looking, you really have to watch them close. When they started to get misshaped, I took them out of the oven.

As soon as I got them out of the oven, I placed a M&M on top of each one. (I used red and green ones for Christmas.)

Then I stuck the cookie sheet in the freezer. Make sure it is level so that they stay in shape. (I heard the M&Ms making a cracking sound, so I decided I need to cool them faster then room temp.)

If you leave them in the freezer too long, they will stick to the cookie sheet so hard that you will break the pretzels trying to get them off. Just let them sit out in room temp. to warm if this happens.

I put them in bowls lined with pretty Christmas fabric and plastic wrap. Like I said, they were very popular.

I hope you understand this. I have never written a recipe before and I am not a very good cook either. Just ask my husband. If I can make these, anybody can. They are that simple. ENJOY
    My user name is FunkiQuilter, but you can call me Funki for short. (Pronounced Funky.) I inherited the name from my cousin because of my love for unusual things.
  • Rosie
    Block Queen
    • Aug 2009

Re: Hugs and More Snack

Yum!! I LOVE chocolate and pretzels! I'll try this one soon! Thanks for sharing

Comment

• sewhot
      The Guild President
      • Feb 2009

One of my favs! They are so good! Thanks for posting the directions! Merry Christmas everyone!

Comment

• FunkiQuilter
        Rotary Pro
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Rosie
        Yum!! I LOVE chocolate and pretzels! I'll try this one soon! Thanks for sharing
        Sweet and salty do go very well together. I LOVE finding a hard dipped ice cream store that has pretzel cones! As if ice cream is not good enough, licking it off a pretzel cone is pure heaven! The local shop that we had got torn down to put in a parking lot. The couple decided to retire at that point instead of opening a new shop elsewhere. Imagine my dismay! Now I don't know where to get my pretzel cone fix. The best I can do is sit at home dipping pretzels in my ice cream. It is just not the same though.

I give a great big Your Welcome to everybody that said thank you. I know how much I love them, and I consider all of you my friends. I like to share things with my friends. I hope you all enjoy them as much as my family did!
        My user name is FunkiQuilter, but you can call me Funki for short. (Pronounced Funky.) I inherited the name from my cousin because of my love for unusual things.

Comment

• shell.scraps
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2009

you can also replace the hershey hug with a rolo...mmmmmm......choco-carmel yumminess!! thanks for sharing the recipe...mmmm....now I need to get pretzels and candy....
          Michele

Comment

• Vicki
            Rotary Pro
            • Sep 2009

Sounds yummy! I'll have to put this one on my list.
            http://dottyjanedesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

• FunkiQuilter
              Rotary Pro
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by shell.scraps
              you can also replace the hershey hug with a rolo...mmmmmm......choco-carmel yumminess!! thanks for sharing the recipe...mmmm....now I need to get pretzels and candy....
              Ymmmmm..... a Rolo sounds yummy!

Yesterday I tried some that my husband's cousin made. (One of the many that asked how to make them when I took them to my husband's family Christmas dinner.) She used regular Hershey Kisses. They were good, but I liked the Hugs better. The Hugs offer more variety of flavor to them. I don't even really like Hugs, but stacked with all the other yummy things, they are GREAT!!!

Now I have to go check the candy isle at the store and see what else I can find to try on them. Hmmmm.... I'm thinking something with peanuts would be really good. They would have to come with a warning label though. My niece is allergic. I would have to make here some separate ones though so she doesn't get mad at me.

Comment

• MarianaL
                Honey Bun
                • Sep 2009

I made these this afternoon to take to my brother-in-law's house.....they were a hit. None left. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

• stitchywoman
                  The Guild President
                  • Feb 2009

I've had the rolo ones topped with a pecan but never thought of kisses or hugs! I love it! And I want some! I've been racking my brain hoping I hid a bag of hugs somewhere, no luck so far I think if you put a sheet of freezer paper or waxed paper under them before you bake them you wouldn't have problems with them sticking to the pan. The paper does fine in the oven and would peel right off the bottom of the pretzels and chocolate.

Now to figure out where I can find me some hugs and pretzels!
                  To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

• jrchapman
                    The Guild President
                    • Sep 2009

These sound absolutely delicious. You can't buy Hersheys in the UK though so I'll have to go on a hunt for a replacement
                    Quilting through the dull times
                    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

• FunkiQuilter
                      Rotary Pro
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by jrchapman
                      These sound absolutely delicious. You can't buy Hersheys in the UK though so I'll have to go on a hunt for a replacement
                      NO HERSHEY'S!!!! OMG! I don't know what I would do without Hershey's! I feel pity for you. You really don't know what you are missing.

Milton Hershey (the founder of the Hershey Chocolate Company) left behind an amazing pay-it-forward story. If you have the time, read up on it. Since he had no children of his own, he and his wife founded a school (The Milton Hershey School) for orphan boys and he left his entire fortune to the school. The school now accepts girls and non-orphans too. It is a NO COST private school to those in need. It kinda makes me feel better buying that candy bar. HeeHee

Here is an article on it: http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia ... 04/NY31785

Here is a link to the schools homepage: http://www.mhs-pa.org/

I live about an hour and a half north of the company. They nicknamed the town "The Sweetest Place on Earth" and it truly is an amazing place. It is not that far from Lancaster, PA. Lancaster is an amazing place to visit as far as quilting goes. It is home to alot of Amish people and they have some beautiful quilts to see.

Comment

• bopeep
                        Missouri Star
                        • Nov 2009

These sound soooooo good...I will be making them......
                        TFS....
                        bopeep
                        sigpic

Comment

• BillNye
                          Administrator
                          The Guild President
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by jrchapman View Post
                          Nutella?

Comment

• SondraR
                            4 Patch Pro
                            • Mar 2010

Hey, for in the UK, how about Toblerone?? I bet one triangle on each would work great, and you'd have the toffee in it as well!! yummy!

Comment

• Laura108
                              Batting Beauty
                              • Jul 2010

I also do these but I use the Snyder square waffle weave bite sized pretzels put a rollo on top of each and in the oven..watch carefully when they get shiney I pull them out and top with a pecan...Whola..my version of a turtle and trust me you never have any left when these are served
                              One Moment at a time

Comment

Working...
                              X