Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Auburn T-Shirt Quilt

I love this quilt. I have been searching for a good t shirt quilt pattern and yours is by far the best I have found. Do you have a tutorial or simple instructions for it that you would share with me? I am a beginning quilter and have been quilting since march of this year so I can use all the help I can get. Thank you, julie woods

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am in love with that quilt!! You did such a great job perfect in every way. Lucky fellow who receives this quilt.

What a small world this is. My son was also in the marching band at Auburn, orchestra and the Auburn Nights. I would love to make him an Auburn t- shirt quilt

Nothing is better than Auburn football. War Eagle!!!!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I've never made a t-shirt quilt and would appreciate any help with this. I assume that the t-shirts need to be stablized with something, right? What do you suggest. I have a stack of t-shirts ready to go and a friend who wants me to make one from jerseys????!!!! HELP please.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love the way you quilted that! Did you use a walking foot?

I don't have one, and wish I did when I made the ones I have in my album. I'm saving your pic in my inspiration album to remind myself how great those straight lines look when I'm ready to tackle the next one for my cousin.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jewelcherokee2 View Post
    I love this quilt. I have been searching for a good t shirt quilt pattern and yours is by far the best I have found. Do you have a tutorial or simple instructions for it that you would share with me? I am a beginning quilter and have been quilting since march of this year so I can use all the help I can get. Thank you, julie woods
    Thanks for your sweet comments. I did not use any kind of pattern but just made all my blocks the same size. I did use iron on stabilizer and cut it into 15 inch squares before ironing it onto the back of the shirt fronts (go ahead and cut the shirt apart so you have flat pieces to work with) and then use your ruler's edge to cut the shirts the size of the stabilizer. I did not want to stitch through any of the vinyl lettering or pictures so I just mainly stitched straight lines where possible under or over the lettering and echoed or outlined the rest. I did not want to have my stitching too far spaced for the batting requirements. My sashing was probably two 1/2 inches between the blocks to make the quilt bigger.

My machine has the built in acufeed so that was a big help. Otherwise the walking foot would be almost a necessity due to the bulk of the quilt.

I've seen many t shirt quilts where the blocks are different sizes. Those look awesome but would require more forethought in placement.

Good luck with your t shirt quilts!

Faye

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=NAPmath;883313]I've never made a t-shirt quilt and would appreciate any help with this. I assume that the t-shirts need to be stablized with something, right? What do you suggest. I have a stack of t-shirts ready to go and a friend who wants me to make one from jerseys????!!!! HELP please.[/QUOT

Please see comments I made to jewelcherokee2's post. Good luck with yours.
    Faye

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you. My machine has the acufeed so that helped. My straight lines weren't always so straight because I just eyeballed them and did not measure! Good luck with yours. Faye