Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Am I overreacting ??

Roxy, please don't let a bad experience with a selfish, demanding diva relative ruin quilting for you! Sewing is such great therapy/coping mechanism for us I can't imagine walking away from it over this problem. Obviously you have learned some painful lessons through this awful experience. Can you take heart in thinking that your generosity in sharing what has happened may prevent one of us other novice quilters from repeating your mistake? Seriously, I can see this happening to others. Take a few deep breaths, a glass of whatever works for you, and try to view this experience as practice for the next unpleasant encounter. You can do it!

I understand she bought the fabrics and picked the patterns. But if she can't deal with the change, I agree with other posters that it wouldn't be unkind, just assertive, to finish the two you started, packed them up and send back the fabric for the one you haven't started. I bet the cost of shipping those things will almost equal the cost of the fabric for the one she didn't like. And keep that star quilt and finish it for yourself!

Just be prepared that stories will fly around the family and they will not likely be flattering to you.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pamipatch View Post
    I don't care if she's kin, she's rude, selfish and pushy. Is she paying you? 4 quilts! Suggest sweetly she needs to take a few classes and make her own **** quilts!! Don't be bullied, this your hobby!!
    Huggs, Pami
    roflmao umm wow duly noted , you made me laugh I needed that thanks I dunno yet what exactly Im gonna do but like somebody said I "gotta suck it up" so once I get over being butt hurt Ill probably go up to my sewing room and finish it the way she wants it. But I dunno when or IF Ill ever do another for anybody else ,this has really jaded me for sure

3. Thanks pamipatch thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

This girl sounds spoiled and ungrateful to me. You haven't seen her for years and she suddenly pops up wanting a free holiday and demanding this and that. I know what I would do, and it's not very charitable.
    Give the quilts to charity who I'm sure would be much more appreciative.
    Newbies will eventually become oldies

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

If she bought the fabric, I would follow her request whether it fits your taste or not.

In the future, I would set expectation by saying you can pick out the fabric, and I will make a quilt that best uses that fabric.

She is being rude, but if she paid for everything she probably feels like she paid to get a very specific quilt. If you feel like you can't make that quilt then I would let her know that, and offer to send her the material.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your niece is rude, demanding, ungrateful and totally undeserving of ANYTHING you make. Playing into her hands like this is setting you up for stress and hurt feelings. Learn to say No.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii Roxy View Post
    But I dunno when or IF Ill ever do another for anybody else ,this has really jaded me for sure
    I think you need a little regroup on your thinking, my dear. When I decide to make something for someone, it is because I DECIDE THAT I LIKE THEM ENOUGH and value them enough to get one of my quilts. I am also pretty sure that they will appreciate the quilt and not use it as a drop cloth or a dog blanket. So far only my sister has asked me to make a quilt for someone else and I know and love that prospective recipient. I have had MANY people ask me to make them a quilt, or make passive-aggressive comments about not having gotten a quilt, and I can easily let those comments run off my back.
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
    Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would pack up everything you made so far, even the unfinished one, and mail it off to her with a note "I'm done. Since youre so picky you can finish this any way you want." Geez I cannot believe her attitude. Making a quilt even one is a ton of work. She is one ungrateful b-- ! By the way I love your stars. Do not feel guilty and don't waste any more time on this project. She obviously does not appreciate all the hard work you've already put in it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd layout of Michelles quilt.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	82479 ok well I sucked it up like many of you told me to and I redid it and heres what she asked for yesterday, side note she pm'd me after she saw this asking if I could work in the stars!!!!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Omg - she really wants the stars now! I'd tell her they will be worked into the back of this quilt and I'd mail her the fabric and pattern for the fourth quilt and let her find someone else to make it.
    Dawn
    A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    Omg - she really wants the stars now! I'd tell her they will be worked into the back of this quilt and I'd mail her the fabric and pattern for the fourth quilt and let her find someone else to make it.
    Nope I said "im sorry the stars are gone I spent all morning making your half square triangles you asked for" Im putting the stares into a quilt for my youngest son (his BD is the 24th) he loved the stares so he gets them