Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite pins?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Favorite pins?

Quote Originally Posted by ozziepuppy View Post
    Now look what you've done. By starting this thread, you have MADE me order these from amazon:

Clover Patchwork Pins -- FINE

They have arrived and I have used them. I really like them, even better than the flower head ones. They are very tiny and very sharp! I have pricked myself with them much more than usual because they are so sharp! I had my first experience ironing over pins and it worked REALLY well--I had never done that before because the heads were always plastic. They are extremely precise for matching points and they go through fabric like butter. Also, they are kind of cute.

I had to order more of them!!!

Marci

2. Thanks LoveMyMachines thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire OneStitchAtATime View Post
    I'm sure you'll love them. I'm feeling zero remorse!
    I did love them. No remorse required!!!

Marci

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I did love them. No remorse required!!!
    My butterflies are continuing to fall apart. I need more! So, of the flowers and these patchwork pins, I should get these? Or do they do different things?

PS Just priced them on Amazon -- if I bought both that would be twenty dollars of pins -- which seems like a lot even for a gal who likes to pin.
    Last edited by Claire OneStitchAtATime; July 25th, 2014 at 01:39 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what brand mine are, but they are thin and sharp. I gave up the flower head pins years ago. I mostly use batiks and the fabric is tightly woven. A thin pin goes through easier and is less likely to damage the fabric.

I'm amazed at how I keep learning so many new things even after quilting for 30 years! And this forum is a great place to learn from others. Boy, do I ever love it here!
    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire OneStitchAtATime View Post
    My butterflies are continuing to fall apart. I need more! So, of the flowers and these patchwork pins, I should get these? Or do they do different things?

PS Just priced them on Amazon -- if I bought both that would be twenty dollars of pins -- which seems like a lot even for a gal who likes to pin.
    Somehow the thought of butterflies falling apart is just so pathetic. . .

Anyway, I do like both. The tiny sharp ones with the glass heads are just so dang precise! I put them through triangle points to match them on batiks and they are very accurate! However, the flower head pins are longer/bigger and slightly flatter (flower vs. glass head). Different purposes, really.

I did discover that if things don't line up quite exactly and you pin them so that they do line up, then you can use your iron to ease everything into place before sewing if you use the glass head ones---you can't do that with the flower heads or they will melt.

Fallen butterflies and melted flowers: sounds like a sad song or a horror movie. . . (not to mention the glass heads)

Marci

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Somehow the thought of butterflies falling apart is just so pathetic. . .

Anyway, I do like both. The tiny sharp ones with the glass heads are just so dang precise! I put them through triangle points to match them on batiks and they are very accurate! However, the flower head pins are longer/bigger and slightly flatter (flower vs. glass head). Different purposes, really.

I did discover that if things don't line up quite exactly and you pin them so that they do line up, then you can use your iron to ease everything into place before sewing if you use the glass head ones---you can't do that with the flower heads or they will melt.

Fallen butterflies and melted flowers: sounds like a sad song or a horror movie. . . (not to mention the glass heads)
    Hilarious. Thank you for the laugh, & the pin advice!

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

PINS:
    I just have to add: Bohin - Ultra Fine Bendable Pins- for Patchwork & Quilting: they glide into the fabric,. 100 in a box: 1 3/8 . 0.4mm,.
    blue & orange glass heads,. I took a class from Susan Cleveland: Pieces Be With You; she recommended them, expensive, but worth the money; a few of us had purchased them from her,. and we love them,.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I bought these many years ago when I first started quilting and recommend them highly. http://www.amazon.com/Iris-Swiss-Sup.../dp/B008EUFJIQ

Name:  th.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  6.1 KB
    See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com