Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite pins?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Favorite pins?

I use the flower head pins (flat flowers). The other day I tried to pull one out and got just the flower. A number of them are bent. They seem quite delicate. However, I like them better than the ones with the little knobs at the end because those push the fabric up off the plate of the sewing machine. This way at least the fabric stays flat. I just put up with all of the bent ones, and I threw away the broken one.

Marci

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I also have pins like those little house pins. Mine have blue glass beads. They are in my to go kit and don't get used much. I'm not much of a pinner anyway.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Now look what you've done. By starting this thread, you have MADE me order these from amazon:

Clover Patchwork Pins -- FINE

Marci

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I too have a pin stash and use different weight pins for different applications. For general quilt piecing I use these pins Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pins.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	82355. Yes, they are really thin and really sharp but they also really hold the fabric together and are easy to sew with. The flat head also allows you to lay a ruler on top of them when you're cutting multiple layers of fabric that are held together with a pin. They can bend a little but I can usually straighten them out. Love them!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like the ones with the yellow knobs on the end. I get them at W-M. They're easier to grasp than the flat flower ones, although I do use those occas. Just remember to not iron over the heads, as they're plastic. JCY

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 types of pins, both Clover brand.

http://www.amazon.com/Clover-Flower-...FNRNAC7B1AQGCS

Also, these pins are great for lots of uses beyond patchwork. Extremely fine. Extremely sharp points. Glass heads so they don't melt if you touch them with your iron. Love these.

Amazon.com: Clover Patchwork Pins-Fine, 100 Per Pack

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ozziepuppy View Post
    Now look what you've done. By starting this thread, you have MADE me order these from amazon:

Clover Patchwork Pins -- FINE
    I'm sure you'll love them. I'm feeling zero remorse!

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I use the clover fine non -melt kind too. They are awesome. I'm a big pinner. I also use the glass head kind- wonder clips and dressmaker pins. Different ones for different stuff.
    If you don't ask, you don't get. Ghandi

Toni

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was at a class 2weeks ago for my tuffet (ottoman) class. One of the women in the class had the flat head yellow pins keeping her 64 strips in the strip sets we needed for the tuffet! But she had marked the numbers 1 thru 16 on her pin heads with a permanent marker!! Now why didn't I think of that!! I pinned little papers to mine.
    I came home, pulled out my flat head yellow pins and numbered them. Also did a set for my GF who is taking the class.
    Then I marked some L and R for left and right patterns. Well why not do T and B for top and bottom. Or a Q for a pin that needs to be placed a quarter inch from the edge!!
    I'm a women with a permanent marker and I'm not afraid to use it!!!
    My friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irishrn View Post
    I was at a class 2weeks ago for my tuffet (ottoman) class. One of the women in the class had the flat head yellow pins keeping her 64 strips in the strip sets we needed for the tuffet! But she had marked the numbers 1 thru 16 on her pin heads with a permanent marker!! Now why didn't I think of that!! I pinned little papers to mine.
    I came home, pulled out my flat head yellow pins and numbered them. Also did a set for my GF who is taking the class.
    Then I marked some L and R for left and right patterns. Well why not do T and B for top and bottom. Or a Q for a pin that needs to be placed a quarter inch from the edge!!
    I'm a women with a permanent marker and I'm not afraid to use it!!!
    What a great idea. I guess I'm unusual, but I sort of enjoy pinning. There's something orderly about it that appeals to me.