Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: not a recipe but food related

There is an entire article in the food section in today's New York Times about cooking rice

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/23/di...ty-tricky.html

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Rice is not a favorite food of mine...It is sooo bland. Anyway, I prefer moist rice, or sticky rice as you are calling it. To me, nothing worse than dry rice that separates....tasteless. HA We are all different. I am enjoying several varieties of flavored rice. Like the Zataran's somebody mentioned. Several kinds are really very good.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltlover View Post
    Rice is not a favorite food of mine...It is sooo bland. Anyway, I prefer moist rice, or sticky rice as you are calling it. To me, nothing worse than dry rice that separates....tasteless. HA We are all different. I am enjoying several varieties of flavored rice. Like the Zataran's somebody mentioned. Several kinds are really very good.
    Me too on the flavored rices. I have to keep reg rice in the fridge because of bugs. I just don't eat enough of it.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As a Dutch-Indonesian, use a rice cooker at least 3-4 times a week. We like our rice light and fluffy, not sticky. Key to that is making sure you wash your rice really well to get the excess starch off. Wash in cold water, till the rice water rinses clear. If you put in your 3 cups of rice (if that is how much your cooker max will cook), our measuring trick in the household is - place your index finger on top of the rice and fill with cold water up to your first knuckle. Place a paper towel over the rice and cover with the lid - hit the cook button. Yes, hit the cook button...we've been known to forget that little step and 25 minutes later we're like "Is the rice done?" Look and see that it's still on the "warming" default light. Duh!!! Open up and fluff with your duck bill plastic spoon!

When making Fried Rice - I used day old rice. Minced onions, garlic, sweet soy sauce, pepper, green onions, couple of eggs, scramble/stir fry them together, fold in the rice, stir fry to warm through. Quick and easy.
    Last edited by HandsOffItsMine; July 24th, 2014 at 08:32 PM.
    Visit my fabric shopping cart YardageALaCarte.com - PM me for a 25% Off your Total Purchase Code, just mention "The Forum" in your message. Huggers, Ruby

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We like rice, but we have eaten it a little less often since my husband read about its arsenic content! We are exploring other grains as additional options, at least in theory -- in practice it seems to mean potatoes more regularly.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire OneStitchAtATime View Post
    We like rice, but we have eaten it a little less often since my husband read about its arsenic content! We are exploring other grains as additional options, at least in theory -- in practice it seems to mean potatoes more regularly.
    We have a grocery store that sells open products (buy by weight) and also a health food store about two blocks down. I think I will try your idea in small amounts. I bought a sprout maker a few years ago. I need to go get some seeds too!

Lorie