Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default FMQ tip......maybe

I'm sure a lot of you season quilters may already know this but I thought it may be helpful to the Newbie Quilters. I had taken a class n Craftsy a while ago called Start Free Motion Quilting with Elisabeth Dackson. She had mentioned that using a Top Stitch needle would aid you n FMQuilting. So, I have not been doing much sewing for a while due to my eyes but this wonderful humidity has helped a lot . The last time I was at Joann's I picked up a package of 90/14 Topstitch needles. Wow! What a difference in making all my stitches the same size.

I have been adding to my quilting tools gradually. I do use the Supreme Slider which Leah Day mentions in one of her video's, the Little Genie Washers and machingers gloves. I also bought the spool stand that attaches to the back of my Elna.

I am not sure if having all these gadgets has improved my FMQ or it's just finally clicked with me. I sat down tonight after a couple months of not doing to much sewing and started FMQ loops and flowers on a quilt top and I must say they look pretty good. I have been practicing drawing these designs on paper while bing down with my eyes.

I just wanted to share!

Fannie

Live each day as if it were your last!

2. Thanks irishrn, Monique thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FMQ tip......maybe

Thanks for the suggestion. Every time I try to FMQ it looks awful. I'll take any tip I can get!

Marci

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Fannie, thanks for the info.
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Fannie, it is great to have you back with us. You know that we've all been worried about your eyes. It is wonderful to hear that you are experiencing some relief. Thanks for the tips and pointers!!
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    Fannie, it is great to have you back with us. You know that we've all been worried about your eyes. It is wonderful to hear that you are experiencing some relief. Thanks for the tips and pointers!!
    Sandy,

I may not always post but I do lurk it seemed so good to be back behind my machine again. I hope to get to the sewing room and take advantage of the weather making my eyes feel better. I did see the Opthamologist a couple of weeks ago and he had a new camera that takes a picture of your eyes and can see what damage has been done. Unfortunately, sjogrens has destroyed 3/4 of the glands in my eyes. So I want to sew while I can because when the winter dryness sets in I know this is not going to be good. I take it day by day

Fannie

7. Thanks irishrn thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

i heard this before and have always used a 90/14, my FMQing stitches have been awesome! i use a new needle every time i make a new quilt.

9. Thanks happy2travel thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I tried using the 90/14 needles twice, meaning two different packages. I snapped every one of those suckers.

I've learned to be okay with less than awesome stitches, and just try to improve little by little with what I don't break so quickly. I'm happy that it's working out for some of you, though. I think that my Viking is a little punky when it comes to needles, FMQ and tension.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. I just finished quilting a "mile a minute" scrap quilt with my free motion quilt foot. It has a few puckers on the back. It was good practice. I use spray basting.

I have two questions for you: 1) what kind of thread do you use in your machine to do free motion quilting?
    2) how do you baste?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mile a minute to be bound.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	82509
    Thanks
    Catherine
    Life is full of loose threads - deal with it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=happy2travel;562827]Thanks for the advice. I just finished quilting a "mile a minute" scrap quilt with my free motion quilt foot. It has a few puckers on the back. It was good practice. I use spray basting.

I have two questions for you: 1) what kind of thread do you use in your machine to do free motion quilting?
    2) how do you baste?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mile a minute to be bound.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	82509
    Thanks
    Catherine[/QUOTE

I spray baste all my quilts and use 100% cotton essential 50/3 thread from Connecting Threads!

Fannie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Well you just built up my confidence!!!!!! By golly, I'm going to order that gadget Supreme Slider, in spite of the cost. I've been hesitating but you have given me that push I needed. Thank you. I want so much to learn how to FM and I have tried but can't seem to glide my fabric over my machine. I'm going to try the top stitch needles also and hope it works well for me. Don't know what Little Genie Washers are but will check into that too. The gloves I already have. I have 3 quilt tops that need to be finished. Wish me luck.
    Linda