Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Question A bedroom or half of the den - what would you do for space?

Great news! After living in my sister's basement for waaaay longer than I want to admit - we are finally getting our own place! It's a 3 bedroom townhouse rental and we're moving 1Aug.

Now here's the question - do I stake my sewing/craft space claim to the third bedroom or half of the den/family room? I literally can not decide which would be better so I need to see if I'm missing something that will only occur to me AFTER I've got everything all set up and don't want to move it.

The third bedroom is a decent size - not as big as the den space obviously, but it gets amazing daylight, has a great closet and a door I can close when things get a little messy. Also - I don't always want to be bothered with the tv (or people lol) when I'm crafting or sewing. Being in a bedroom would eliminate having to quilt while someone else wants to watch tv or play the video games.

The den/family room is in the finished basement. I could realistically use up to half of the space, but it's still a basement. There are windows and the light is good but not great. 2 or 3 of the floor standing Ott lites are not in the budget right now so I'd have to make due.

The other half of the room would be our den. A big tv, cozy couch, chairs. I could see the majority of our tv/slacker time being spent here - as well as company hanging out when we entertain. My stuff would be on one side of the room, but basically exposed (for lack of a better word) whenever anyone is over.

I don't always want to craft alone, and my mom and sister say they we will start up "Craft Saturdays" or something once I get settled so having more space is a big draw. The third bedroom would be a dedicated guest room if my space is in the basement. We'd make sure to get a comfy pull-out in the basement for guests if I take the room.

What would you do??
    Vicki
    Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program?

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A bedroom or half of the den - what would you do for space?

Quote Originally Posted by VickiJ View Post

The third bedroom is a decent size - not as big as the den space obviously, but it gets amazing daylight, has a great closet and a door I can close when things get a little messy. Also - I don't always want to be bothered with the tv (or people lol) when I'm crafting or sewing. Being in a bedroom would eliminate having to quilt while someone else wants to watch tv or play the video games.
    Sounds like that's your answer right there!
    Tiffany

3. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think the den sounds good. You could put up a curtain to hide your projects. is the bedroom big enough to have people crafting with you?

Lorie

5. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Girl Cave....bedroom! The good lighting, closet space and freedom from cleaning up every time guests arrive would be my choice.

7. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Bedroom would be my choice.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

9. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is something that you'll need to discuss with your family, not us! We don't have to live with you!

Just an idea if you decide to use the den: You could get a partition for your space which you can pull/remove whenever you want. Of course, that would make the den optically smaller as well...

11. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

The bedroom! But I don't like being in a basement. It would be great to have a space you can just close off when you are in the middle of a project.

13. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for the bedroom. Just the fact that it is a dedicated space for your sewing and crafts and does not need to be shared would be the deciding factor for me. Your mom and sister can share the space on your crafting Saturdays or you can spill over to the den if need be for the day but at least you don't have to worry so much about messiness if you are in the bedroom. Whatever you decide just remember that you can change it at a later date if it doesn't work out the way you thought it would.
    Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

15. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I did. I have two quilting spaces. The main one is my quilting loft that overlooks the living room. It houses my Juki 2010 and all my most-used quilting aids. When I am there, I can be part of the living-room conversation and watch what everyone is watching on TV. The second space is a corner in my bedroom which houses my SE200 and a few duplicate quilting aids (cutting mat, rotary, small ruler and a few other necessities). I use this space for smaller projects and when I have spur-of-the-moment ideas that I just have to try out NOW or if I feel like sewing in the middle of the night or early morning. My quilting loft is right outside bedrooms and is rather noisy. This way I won’t disturb anyone. I set up my second space about a year ago and love the option.
    Theda

There is no Quilter's Anonymous because no one wants to quit.

"Smurf Machine" - 1981 Necchi, "Anna Sophia" - Brother SE400, "Ellie Bleu" - Juki 2010,
    "Daisy Rae" - Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2.

17. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Are you a night owl? If so, would sewing in the evenings while others are sleeping would it disturb them? If so, go for the den. Do you think you will have many guests? Will they stay more than a night? If so, go for the den.

That being said, there is no reason you can't split your space. Use the bedroom as your main sewing area, but have a table you can use in the den for your crafting days with your family. Or for those nights you need to quilt, but don't want to wake anyone.

19. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post