Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now or

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody else up to their elbows in zucchini? RECIPE IDEA

I seem to harvesting, on average, two a day. YOWZER!
    Today, I made zucchini lasagna. Instead of using pasta noodles, I cut the zucchini lengthwise, as thin as I could, then blanched for 3-4 minutes in boiling water.
    Make your lasagna in the usual fashion, replacing the zucchini for pasta. YUM!

On a side note, DH has a 'thing' about ground turkey, and refused to entertain the idea of using it. So AFTER he had a second helping, and remarked how tasty it was, I spilled the beans. 'That was ground turkey, you know...'
    HA!
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

2. Thanks ShanShan2014 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anybody else up to their elbows in zucchini? RECIPE IDEA

I have had lasagna similar to that at the Stinking Rose, a famous garlic restaurant in San Francisco. If you ever get out there, make sure you stop in, especially if you like garlic!!

Anyway, instead of zucchini, they used eggplant, which I had never eaten before. You really could not tell it was not pasta. It was amazing!

Almost as amazing as the naked crazy man who kept walking past his window across the street from where we were sitting. It was pretty funny!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about using zucchini instead of lasagna noodles - will be doing that soon.

Here are two more zucchini recipes you may want to try:

BAKED ZUCCHINI WITH TOMATO AND CHEESE

Slice the zucchini in half. Slice off the bottom to keep in stable. Brush with olive oil and top with garlic or garlic powder. Top with sliced tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste. Use mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese or mixed blend.. Bake 375 for 20 to 30 minutes until soft.

Oven-Baked Zucchini Fries

makes approximately 8 servings
    Ingredients
    3 zucchini (1 lb.)
    1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese

1 packet Shake & Bake Coating Mix
    1 small egg

Method:

Heat oven to 450F.
    Trim the zucchini -cut crosswise in half, then cut each piece into 1/4-inch sticks. Add cheese to coating mix in shaker bag; shake gently to combine.
    Whisk egg in medium bowl. Add zucchini; toss to coat. Use tongs to place 1/4 of the zucchini in shaker bag; close bag and shake to evenly coat. Spread onto baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining zucchini.
    Bake for 12 to 13 min. or until golden brown, turning the baking tray 180 degrees after 7 min to facilitate even baking.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sue I just might make that this weeek. I have some Riccotta cheese in the fridge right now and the farmers market is this wed.

I never thought of using shake and bake on a veggie. I'm going to try that!

Lorie

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have zucchini - I have corn!!! Today I pulled over 50 ears on top of all that we have pulled over the last several days. I think there's already 23 pints that I've canned and about 30 frozen on the cob. Now I'm looking at all the tomatoes that are out there. Still green, but probably 200 of them coming soon. I love what the garden produces - just wish it was slightly more staggered!!!
    Judy

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Zucchini pie-and I mean the kind you put whipped cream on!!! YUM, YUM!!!!!!
    Sweet Zucchini Pie Recipe | Taste of Home

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, Sue, that lasagne sounds delicious! I might have to get some zucchinis today...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One year when my little veggie garden produced too much zucchini I made a big batch of it like eggplant parmesan. Only difference is that the breading doesn't stay on the zucchini as well as it does on eggplant.
    Had my sisters and families over and my 2 Italian bother in laws were really enjoying extra helpings of the zucchini parmesan, that is until I told them it wasn't eggplant.

Had a zucchini casserole at a pot luck dinner about 20 years ago and loved it and gal was nice enough to give me the recipe. It is a family favorite and I often bring it to summer BBQ's. Family calls it zucchini pie because I often make it in a 10" pie plate. Great dish to have with grilled Italian sausage, thick slices of fresh tomatoes, maybe some fried or roasted peppers and a few sliced of good Italian bread, delicious. A few ears of that fresh picked corn would go well also.

May's Zucchini Pie Preheat oven to 350

3 cups chopped zucchini
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup Bisquick
    1/2 cup grated Italian cheese
    1/2 cup veggie oil
    4 eggs
    1 t garlic powder
    1 t parsley flakes
    1 t salt
    1 t pepper

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, pour into a greased 10" pie plate and bake 30-35 minutes until golden brown on top.

I usually cut back on the oil to 1/4 cup and a few times used half eggs and half egg beaters.
    Grating the zucchini instead of chopping it makes the dish a little moister but still very tasty.
    Last edited by MayinJerset; July 15th, 2014 at 09:19 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing your recipes, ladies!
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another zucchini casserole, I guess you could sub some eggplant for the zucchini or yellow squash, throw in some peppers too. I haven't made it yet, just too hot to put the oven on but plan to make it soon.

Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bake

(Makes 4-6 servings; recipe adapted from a recipe by Karen Niessing in Penzeys Back to School 2011 Catalog, with suggestions from my sister Pam.)

Ingredients:
    2 medium-sized zucchini, cut in slices or half-moon slices
    2 medium-sized yellow squash, cut in slices or half-moon slices
    2-4 T chopped fresh basil (or even less, depending on how much you like the flavor of basil)
    2 T thinly sliced green onion
    1/2 tsp. dried thyme
    3/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1/2 cup + 1/2 cup low-fat white cheese (I used Pizza Cheese, which is a low-fat blend of Mozzarella, Provolone, Romano, and Parmesan)
    1/2 cup coarsely grated Parmesan (I would use a little less if you only have the very finely grated Parmesan from a can)
    salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Instructions:
    Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Spray an 8" x 8" baking dish with olive oil or non-stick spray. Wash the squash and cut in slices or half-moon slices. Wash basil, spin dry or dry with paper towels and finely chop. Slice green onions.

Combine the sliced squash, chopped basil, sliced green onions, dried thyme, garlic powder, and both kinds of cheese and stir together until the veggies are coated with cheese and the herbs are well-distributed. Season with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Put the mixture in the baking dish and bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes.

When the zucchini is nearly cooked through, take the casserole dish out of the oven and sprinkle over the remaining 1/2 cup of grated cheese. Put the dish back in the oven and bake 10-15 minutes longer, or until the cheese is melted and nicely browned and zucchini is fully cooked. Serve hot.

This kept well in the fridge overnight, but mine was gone the next day so I don't know if it would last longer than that!

12. Thanks irishrn thanked for this post