Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default FMQ Baptist Fan....I finally did it.

This is a quilt kit from Connecting Threads. I really liked the different red fabrics and so I ordered it. I am so pleased with this quilt. No, it's not perfect by any means. But it's a red and white quilt which is a favorite, with my other favorite, the Baptist fan pattern. YES! I happen to love this pattern and was procrastinating trying it out. And so I got a method to use my half circle ruler and a pencil which finally gave way to using Crayola disappearing crayons....which scared me to death to use blue crayon on white fabric, BUT by golly, it worked! All the fabric came from the same line and I like this line of fabric so much, I ordered the fat quarters in the blue! WHEEEE

Anyways, I used a new / different batting on this one. Quilters Dream Orient. LOVE IT. I washed the finished quilt in warm water, Tide and dye catchers and HELD MY BREATH! The dye catchers had a pink hue, but not as much as I expected....WHEW. Dried it on medium heat until dry and it is so, so soft! Love that batting.

PS and O well....those dang red threads that got by me and now peak thru the white, after I tried so hard to snip them off.....maddening! O, and the white on white pieces that sneaked on there inside out after I thought I checked every piece.....maddening! I don't know why these pics came out so grayish or yellow, But the white is a nice bright white .

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	red closeup.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	210.9 KB 
ID:	81780   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back and Front.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	81783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Full.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	81782  
    Last edited by Slokarma; July 13th, 2014 at 11:57 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FMQ Baptist Fan....I finally did it.

How pretty,,, Love this quilt and LOVE both B&W and R&W I just was looking in the recent CT catalog and am pondering an order of te 20 B&W print fabrcs (FQ)... sorry for all the "short cut letters", but it's a habit!
    You may have tipped me over the edge to make the order soon..... Barbara
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

3. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrammaBabs View Post
    How pretty,,, Love this quilt and LOVE both B&W and R&W I just was looking in the recent CT catalog and am pondering an order of te 20 B&W print fabrcs (FQ)... sorry for all the "short cut letters", but it's a habit!
    You may have tipped me over the edge to make the order soon..... Barbara
    I was surprised how nice the red washed up and the CT fabrics don't show up as nice on my computer screen as they do in person...I'm not sure why that is. Must be the way they upload them or something....now I have to go look at the black and white!@!!!! LOL

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your quilt is gorgeous and the BF quilting really sets it off perfectly. Excellent job!

6. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh, it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! i love it! And you did such an amazing job on the quilting - I know how hard it is to do that Baptist fan. Maybe you could do a quick note about HOW you quilted it, and take some pics of the template, etc. It looks amazing. I will have to look out for that batting too. I did a quilt with the CT blues and I really like the reds, but didn't buy any. I'm collecting free blocks for a shop hop and they are all red and white (for Canada) so you've got me excited to make them up and see what I can do with them! Great job!!!!

8. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

That is one GORGEOUS quilt! Beautifully pieced & quilted. I'm finding that I'm so attracted to 2- or 3-color quilts by seeing work like yours. Thanks for sharing.

10. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by a1angiem View Post
    Oh my gosh, it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! i love it! And you did such an amazing job on the quilting - I know how hard it is to do that Baptist fan. Maybe you could do a quick note about HOW you quilted it, and take some pics of the template, etc. It looks amazing. I will have to look out for that batting too. I did a quilt with the CT blues and I really like the reds, but didn't buy any. I'm collecting free blocks for a shop hop and they are all red and white (for Canada) so you've got me excited to make them up and see what I can do with them! Great job!!!!
    Thanks! and Yes, I will share how I did the fan pattern and maybe someone else will be able to make it even easier. I did figure out a few things along the way, so that might save some trial and error for someone else.

I really wish I had made this quilt large enough for a queen bed. It has the old timey look to it and it is so cuddly. Like I said, it's far from perfect, but I like it and I'm so tempted to make a bigger one.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just beautiful! I love red/white combo, always crisp , and your baptist fan work is awesome!

13. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Gorgeous quilt, beutiful color combo and I love your quilting! Would love some tips on doing the BF.

15. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I really like your quilt and the fmqing is fabulous!!! I like the fabric from CT. When I used to visit my daughter when she lived just south of Portland, I would stop at their warehouse in Vancouver and buy my painting supplies. At the time, they were just starting to carry fabric and yarn, and it was wonderful to look at. Unfortunately, they no longer have the warehouse there as they moved it back east, and I miss it! If there are any knitters on here and you have not tried their yarns, don't wait any longer!!! It's wonderful!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

17. Thanks Slokarma thanked for this post