Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Holy Cow!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Holy Cow!!!!

Hi, Vonnie ~ I think it was my older sister who made the connection & noticed that eating beef made her joints ache. DH & I did a trial of no beef. In fact, for a while, we went vegetarian, but that was too high carb for me, as I became borderline diabetic. We noticed when we did not eat beef that we felt better & did not have the joint aches. I also did an internet search on what was fed to cows & learned about Mad Cow Disease. It was very enlightening what all is allowed in cow feed. It's really disgusting. Probably the eye opener for me was reading the info. by Howard F. Lyman, the Mad Cowboy. He wrote a book entitled "Mad Cowboy: Plain Truth from the Cattle Rancher Who Won't Eat Meat." He was a 4th generation dairy farmer & cattle rancher who used all the modern methods, but ended up with a rare spinal tumor that led him to examine his life. You can read more about it on his web site. He says, "If you're a meat-eater in America, you have a right to know that you have something in common with most of the cows you've eaten. They've eaten meat, too." Processed slaughterhouse leftovers are sold for animal feed.

Concerning your joint aches ~ How much sugar or sweet products do you consume? Sugar can make your joints ache, too. I read once that as little as 1 tsp. of sugar can suppress one's immune system for up to 4 hrs. Also, do you drink soda pop? There are a lot of harmful chemicals in pop. The aspartame in sugar-free soda is an excitotoxin & actually destroys nerve fibers in the brain. Long-term use of aspartame (& MSG) may be influential in the development of a lot of the neurological diseases we're seeing, such as MS, Parkinson's, ALS, etc. It pays to eat healthy & avoid the chemicals & food additives as much as possible. JCY

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks JCY.

You have given me something to think about.

I wonder if honey is in the same category as sugar? Some things just need something sweet added to it like a bowl of oatmeal.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Vonnie, The best honey to buy is from a bee keeper with no additives. Honey is good for you. Of course, everything in moderation, but there is no benefit in refined sugar. A friend of mine also suffered from pains in her legs etc. her doc told her to cut out red meat, she did and had a vast improvement. For what it's worth. Hope you feel better.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm. I wake up every morning with aches in my muscles and joints. Already can't eat gluten. Now I have to think about meat and sugar. How long until you can tell a difference? A week? A month?

Marci

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We have always raised our own beef and the cost of feed just keeps going up. We have pastures and that helps a lot unless it's a drought year. I think I would have sticker shock if I ever had to buy it at Wal-Mart. With feed it still runs about $1.48 lb to have them dressed out. Plus we get our dog food from the scraps not much goes to waste. Our garden also gets a little bigger every year. So how bad are things going to get? Only time will tell but I am not going to wait to find out.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Give it 3-4 wks. as a trial. JCY

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Stevia for several years. I don't use it in baking, but I use it for tea, cereal, etc.