Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: So how much is too much?

My point was you have to make cheap low quality stuff if you want to sell anything. It wasn't really about the seller but rather about the buyers.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

The money makers are the folks who sell products to the crafters. I've mentioned this before. Marianne Fons says she learned pretty quickly that there's no money in the selling of quilts so she doesn't sell her quilts. I imagine she's a millionaire, maybe many times over. She makes her money on folks like you and me. I wonder how much money she does earn? Hmmm. I tried googling to see how much she makes but no luck. I'm very curious.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

One of my quilting friends makes really good money by making T-shirt quilts. She charges $20 per hour and gets it. She also does long arm quilting to supplement her income. She keeps telling me I need to become a longer armer myself.

I've sold some things, but not much. It's usually because I would make something and put it on Facebook then get orders from that. So, not really trying too much, but still have done it and cool small items too.

It seems to me the only people who has made a killing on quilted handbags, totes and items as such is Vera Bradley and her stuff is made in China. I bought a nice purse from another quilter, who was selling at a craft show, just last month. I knew I could make it myself, but I liked the one she made and felt she did a good job. I paid her $45 for the purse and thought nothing of it because I liked what I bought and supported another maker.
    Last edited by Sew Perfect; July 12th, 2014 at 07:13 AM.
    MISA
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all in when things are well made and reasonably priced (and something I can't guess how it is made just by looking at it! ).

But a few weeks ago I was wandering around our local handycraft market and I saw a booth where they sold infinity scarves. They were made with about half a yard of fabric, some trim, 3 seams, maybe two or three inches of handsewing. Overall, I guesstimate about 20min of work (less if you do it as a kind of assembly line type of work). Now, would you like to put a price tag on that?

Believe it or not, they sold them for $99-109! I had to go back and check again, because I simply couldn't believe it! The saddest thing though were all the women standing around and trying them on, probably even buying them. I was that close to telling them they could make the same with the fabrics they want for a fraction of that price with minimal sewing skills...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cat77 View Post
    I'm all in when things are well made and reasonably priced (and something I can't guess how it is made just by looking at it! ).

But a few weeks ago I was wandering around our local handycraft market and I saw a booth where they sold infinity scarves. They were made with about half a yard of fabric, some trim, 3 seams, maybe two or three inches of handsewing. Overall, I guesstimate about 20min of work (less if you do it as a kind of assembly line type of work). Now, would you like to put a price tag on that?

Believe it or not, they sold them for $99-109! I had to go back and check again, because I simply couldn't believe it! The saddest thing though were all the women standing around and trying them on, probably even buying them. I was that close to telling them they could make the same with the fabrics they want for a fraction of that price with minimal sewing skills...
    I was wondering how she got to that price point and wandered over to etsy
    https://www.etsy.com/search?q=infini...o=ZZ&ref=auto4
    Not to bad on the pricing. What kind of fabric did she use? If it was hand painted silk maybe, but wow that is a high price!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I was wondering how she got to that price point and wandered over to etsy
    https://www.etsy.com/search?q=infini...o=ZZ&ref=auto4
    Not to bad on the pricing. What kind of fabric did she use? If it was hand painted silk maybe, but wow that is a high price!
    Lorie - I just looked at that site - some of them are underpricing on the knitted or crocheted ones. Unless they got a machine doing the work for them.

I have two hand crochet doilies that my mother made in the pineapple design. She used to make them and sell them on consignment. Don't know how much she got for them. But to me they are priceless. I need to make sure my boys know that their grandmother, whom they never got a chance to know, made those.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    Nope, just ordinary cotton fabric!

Like this one here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sila_big.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	125.4 KB 
ID:	81723

I mean, I get that fabric around my neck of the woods is pretty expensive, but I'm sure they can buy it wholesale or simply from the US (as I do as well). And even though labour is more expensive here as well, that still doesn't justify the price in my eyes. But, you know, if people are dumb enough to actually buy it...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

In my lifetime I have gone from "selling my talent" as a finisher,and seamstress for the equivalent of about 25cents an hr, just to stay home with my children,, ( over 40yrs. ago) to making things strictly for charity or as a favor for a (gift card or nothing for special friends) just to use up my stash...I worked hard for the extra cash to have my hobbies, and now am in a position to afford what I want and have fun making things for the heck of it... For me it boils down to this... if I were a perfectionist,,, (far from it),, I could just spend the time perfecting what I do and enjoying the perfection of it and my accomplishment..but for me.. who LOVES to create and give and have fun sharing "how it's done" and seeing the smiles on people's faces when I say... here,, it's for you, or you can have it,, Happy Birthday!!!! is where I am now.. I'm happy I've come this far from my beginnings and blessed to be able to share... some realize my talent,,, and some haven't a clue the time it takes... I sit by the pool all summer and have people walk by and see what it takes,, so most here in our community have a god idea now...LOL
    I guess I'm just happy I am blessed with a talent for handwork, and that i'll never be bored!!! To each their own. Just enjoy the compliments when they come genuinely!
    ps... it was more fun to make a few bucks working at Walmart and sharing my knowledge, than any craft fair I did!!
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

9. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post