Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Triangle Troubles! HELP! (Pictures)

When I use that template I don't cut off the points. Then I line up the points when sewing them together. Also, if you press the seams open you can use the points to line up the next triangle and the rows.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

The second picture you posted looks great! Once you sew the blocks together, that cut off part will disappear into the seam allowance and your triangles will look spot-on!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a link that might help. It's from sassyquilter's triangle quilt along from a few months ago. She is also member of the forum. Someone else on the forum made the quilt from this tutorial......but I can't remember who right now. The quilt was so pretty. Hope this tutorial helps.

http://www.sassyquilter.com/piecing-triangles/
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

4. Thanks ozziepuppy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When sewing angled pieces together, it's important to leave the dog ears on, b/c usually you line up just 1/4" short of the points. Sort of like Jenny shows when she makes the 5" tumbler quilt. It takes some getting used to for things to get lined up accurately. I had the same problem when I was working on the Storm at Sea pattern. I think if you keep trying, you'll get the hang of it. Does starching the fabric help? (I don't pre-wash anything.) JCY

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I can tell I am now doing it the right way. It would probably be easier if all of the points were there on each small triangle (that is what confused me), but I do want to leave that squared off point because it tells me that that should be the top (or bottom if inverted) of the triangle (so that all of the triangles can have the lengthwise grain going the same way). I think I get it now. That doesn't mean all of the points will line up perfectly, but at least they won't get cut off by a fourth of an inch! I did four large pyramids today (each composed of 9 equilateral triangles) and two were fairly close and two were spot on.

I know it is kind of hard to tell from the fabrics (the pattern calls for "similar" batik colors that blend) but that is actually a good thing since the points will be less noticeable (at least some of them will). This is the pattern (mentioned on several previous threads). Each diamond is made up of small triangles. You make large triangles from small triangles, then sew them into rows to make the diamonds.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-09 at 9.16.27 PM.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	81542
    I pre washed all of the fabrics because some are batiks and some are wovens (all are Jinny Beyer though). These are the fabrics. Three Jinny Beyer batik lines and her Renaissance line.

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 11.19.24 AM.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	81543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 12.44.01 PM.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	81544
    Also pretreated all fabrics with Retayne and Synthrapol (was especially concerned about the reds and the very dark colors). I was amazed at how uneven some of them became after washing (due to shrinkage) and was very glad I did this. Now I am using a lot of Best Press on them and the finished large triangles seem to be fairly stiff. I am storing them in a plastic container and handling them as little as possible so as not to stretch them.

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. This is going to take forever but at least I have a much better idea of what I am doing now!

Marci

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

PS this is my first experience with triangles like this. I have mostly done D9P and fusible appliqué w/ blanket stitching around it (and, of course, EPP hexagons, which are SO much fun!). The pattern said "intermediate" and I didn't realize I wasn't quite up to intermediate standards. Oh well, live and learn. This is for my son and his fiancee who are going to be married July 9, 2015 (one year from today).

Marci

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ozziepuppy View Post
    Yes, I can tell I am now doing it the right way. It would probably be easier if all of the points were there on each small triangle (that is what confused me), but I do want to leave that squared off point because it tells me that that should be the top (or bottom if inverted) of the triangle (so that all of the triangles can have the lengthwise grain going the same way). I think I get it now. That doesn't mean all of the points will line up perfectly, but at least they won't get cut off by a fourth of an inch! I did four large pyramids today (each composed of 9 equilateral triangles) and two were fairly close and two were spot on.

I know it is kind of hard to tell from the fabrics (the pattern calls for "similar" batik colors that blend) but that is actually a good thing since the points will be less noticeable (at least some of them will). This is the pattern (mentioned on several previous threads). Each diamond is made up of small triangles. You make large triangles from small triangles, then sew them into rows to make the diamonds.

I pre washed all of the fabrics because some are batiks and some are wovens (all are Jinny Beyer though). These are the fabrics. Three Jinny Beyer batik lines and her Renaissance line.

Also pretreated all fabrics with Retayne and Synthrapol (was especially concerned about the reds and the very dark colors). I was amazed at how uneven some of them became after washing (due to shrinkage) and was very glad I did this. Now I am using a lot of Best Press on them and the finished large triangles seem to be fairly stiff. I am storing them in a plastic container and handling them as little as possible so as not to stretch them.

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. This is going to take forever but at least I have a much better idea of what I am doing now!
    Oh so you are going to do that one! When I first posted it someone did see triangles in the triangles. I can't wait to see it!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Those are beautiful batiks. From the pic, the triangles look like one large pc. of fabric. What a challenge you have ahead of you. It will be worth the work, though. It should get easier as you go along. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. JCY

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ozziepuppy View Post

This is a beautiful quilt!!! It looks like you figured it out I just cut the top point....like you said, helps me line up the top and bottom. Triangles can be tricky, but once you got it you are good!
    To quilt or not to quilt?.....what a ridiculous question!
    Check out all things quilty at my blog here: http://www.sassyquilter.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    When I use that template I don't cut off the points. Then I line up the points when sewing them together. Also, if you press the seams open you can use the points to line up the next triangle and the rows.
    Pressing the seams open and then using the dog ears to line things up is EXTREMELY helpful! I can hardly believe what a difference that makes! THANK YOU! I have now finished four diamonds and today I am working on four more. I showed DH the four that had already been finished last night. Two diamonds had been done with the dog ears (and pressing seams open) and two had not (the first two). He is not one for high praise and tells it like it is. He glanced at them and without hesitation said, "Those two are better," pointing to the two with the pressed-open seams. And he did not even have his glasses on, LOL.

Continuing on today, I decided to work with blue:

This is the front. Hard to see the dog ears, but they are there.

Name:	FRONT-Blue.jpg 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	81672

Back of the same unit:

Name:	Blue-BACK.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	81673

This is very time-consuming but it is fun. Thanks for all of your help, everyone!

Marci