Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grandma Nan from Canada

Hi everyone. My name is Nancy and I live in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. I have been reading the blog for awhile but have only recently joined. I am a retired nurse and have been quilting for just a year. I have always had quilting in my life (family) but didnt have the time. It was on my bucket list and last year when I retired, I bought myself and nice sewing machine and started taking some classes. Now I have 2 sewing machines; so that I have a travel/class machine that is lighter weight and easier to carry around.

I use quilting as dual therapy physically it is so relaxing and if that doesn't do the trick it is wonderful retail therapy. Of course, I LOVE QUILTING and buying fabric. Who knew there was so much beautiful material and so few hours in the day; but remember it is a form of therapy for me. I have been a crafter of some sort or another all my life, so recognizing my tendencies towards excess, I did make a pledge to only buy material when I was ready to start a new project. Well that soon became impractical as I felt I needed a stash so I had to buy some extra material and thus the beginning of my addiction . LOL.

I have 5 wonderful grandsons aged 1 to 9. Only the baby has his own quilt but Grandma Nan is working towards having a quilt for all the boys by Christmas. My newest venture is beginning on Monday. I am taking a class in hand stitching hexagons for a Grandmother's Flower Garden. I am not setting any time limit on this one but I love having some hand sewing as an easy take along kit for times you can't use a machine. It may take the rest of my life to make it but I don't care. I have seen some beautiful hexagon quilts and think it will be a fun ongoing long term project.

I learn so much from these forum postings and am looking forward to communicating with all of you as we share our quilting adventures with each other. Thanks to everyone for being such a sharing and supportive community.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grandma Nan from Canada

Hello Nancy...welcome from Iowa!
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

3. Thanks Grandma Nan thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Nancy, it is nice to meet you. It sounds like you are definitely hooked. My grands were all close together and they gave me an excuse to buy fabric and quilt. You must be much faster than me if you are going to get that many quilts done by Christmas, good luck.

5. Thanks Grandma Nan thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is probably a little too ambitious as well. I am not a super fast quilter and I definitely don't want it to become an obligation to "get it done". We do need a little pressure but too much makes it like work and not so much fun.
    Thanks for your welcome.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Nancy! I think you can get your quilts done by Christmas for your grandsons! They don't need to be larger bedsized, kids like couch quilts too! And they don't have to be fancy either they will love them Intheir favourite colors and with cozy flannel or minkee backing that they can really use and cuddle. Save fancy quilts for when they are older .

Can't wait to hear more about you! I'm in Canada too, Edmonton.

Terri

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nancy and welcome to the forum from Massachusetts.I'm sure you'll meet lots of nice and helpful people here.
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Nancy, and welcome to the forum from Missouri. This is a wonderful site for learning more about quilting and for making quilty friends. Visit often so we can get to know you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Nancy and welcome from a fellow Canadian. I am only about 3 hours away from Kingston. It is such a beautiful city. We have been there many times. My oldest is a graduate from RMC and my youngest (Air Force) lived there for a couple of years. It is great to have you join us.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Terri for your welcome and advice. That's just what I was thinking too. I think the soft cuddly wins over complexity of the quilt blocks. Something sturdy that can be washed and fun.
    I have some friends and family in Edmonton (sil and bil) and have visited only briefly. Also graduated from Athabasca University and went to my graduation. You live in a beautiful part of the country.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Monique. We like it here- small town but very convenient to travel to Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal. Close to the US as well so pretty ideal. I have lived in this area most of my life so happy to have moved back here to retire. We are also lucky to have local quilting shops close by 3 in town and many in the surrounding area.
    My youngest daughter is married to a fellow in the Air Force as well- they are posted in Petawawa so I also get to visit quilt shops in that area of the province.
    Thanks for your warm welcome. I am happy to be part of this group.