Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Whats your menu for the 4th of July?

I'm procrastinating! My college aged daughter and son are both coming home, but my son will only be with us tomorrow night before he heads to the lake with friends, so we're doing barbequed chicken, baked beans and coleslaw tomorrow night as our big family meal.

I'm sick of burgers because we eat them a lot in the summer so who knows what we'll do on the 4th. I need to get my rear in gear and figure something out.

But I CAN tell you what we're having for dessert. Feast your eyes on the easiest and tastiest dessert around:

The best cake you?ll never bake. ? Debt of Gratitude
    Joan, aka the Unaquilter

"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma."

Learn more about me and my quilts at my blog:

http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My neighbors group, The Nit-Wits will be having our 4th Annual 4th of July Covered Dish Carry In.

We will be grilling hamburgers and hot dogs.

I'm making my grandmothers coleslaw. She made her own dressing with heavy cream (or Half N Half), Helmanns (Miricle Whip won't do), cucumbers, green onions, cabbage, tomatoes and bacon.
    and Buttermilk Brownies (they are sinful)
    Ruth will be bringing Barbequed Sauerkraut. (It is great, I was surprised when she made it the first time) and
    Lemon Pecan Pies (she makes her own crust - show off)
    DJ will bring Condiments
    Margaret will make her special Potato Salad
    Marian will bring three bean salad
    My aunt Martha will bring her home made Tamales and salsa and baked beans
    And last buy not least Floyd and Diana will bring homemade ice cream. They have a second ice cream maker this year so they are making vanilla and chocolate.

We have invited others from the neighborhood and they will all bring things that will fill in. We will all eat way to much.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joan@DebtofGratitude View Post
    I'm procrastinating! My college aged daughter and son are both coming home, but my son will only be with us tomorrow night before he heads to the lake with friends, so we're doing barbequed chicken, baked beans and coleslaw tomorrow night as our big family meal.

I'm sick of burgers because we eat them a lot in the summer so who knows what we'll do on the 4th. I need to get my rear in gear and figure something out.

But I CAN tell you what we're having for dessert. Feast your eyes on the easiest and tastiest dessert around:

The best cake you?ll never bake. ? Debt of Gratitude
    After reading the blog... You are gonna love what I would do with this recipe. (Or not).... I see you and your hubby dipped the cookies while making the cake. For my crew... I would serve this as "Chip and Dip" on a platter with a vintage lace bowl holding the refrigerator mix on a Cake pedestal with a circle of Van. Wafers for dipping... THIS might be my appetizer!

Thanks for the link!! It's WONDALA!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobW View Post
    My neighbors group, The Nit-Wits will be having our 4th Annual 4th of July Covered Dish Carry In.

We will be grilling hamburgers and hot dogs.

I'm making my grandmothers coleslaw. She made her own dressing with heavy cream (or Half N Half), Helmanns (Miricle Whip won't do), cucumbers, green onions, cabbage, tomatoes and bacon.
    and Buttermilk Brownies (they are sinful)
    Ruth will be bringing Barbequed Sauerkraut. (It is great, I was surprised when she made it the first time) and
    Lemon Pecan Pies (she makes her own crust - show off)
    DJ will bring Condiments
    Margaret will make her special Potato Salad
    Marian will bring three bean salad
    My aunt Martha will bring her home made Tamales and salsa and baked beans
    And last buy not least Floyd and Diana will bring homemade ice cream. They have a second ice cream maker this year so they are making vanilla and chocolate.

We have invited others from the neighborhood and they will all bring things that will fill in. We will all eat way to much.
    Wow, Marian has it pretty easy. LOL.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We don't do BBQ or anything special for the 4th. DH has too many food allergies. He eats the same foods every day. It makes it easy for my cooking. I cook up almost everything ahead of time & freeze it in plastic containers. He takes them out 1 cont. at a time for reheating foods in the MW. Ryan, the containers I bought years ago were from Big Lots. I don't remember the brand. I use 1 qt. and 1.5 pt. sizes the most. They've lasted for years. They are DW safe in the top tray. Not suitable for MW, however. And yes, they do stain from tomato sauces, but that's ok. Unless the neighbors have a big bash (like they've had for the past 3 yrs.!), it will be a quiet 4th at our house. They've set off big -- illegal! -- fireworks at midnight the past 3 yrs. Kept the whole neighborhood awake. Anything that leaves the ground is illegal here. The City said they're cracking down this year. We'll see. JCY

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Rib eye steaks, roasted corn on the cob, potato salad , baked beans, garlic bread and desserts. And a whole lot of beer

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Terry L View Post
    Rib eye steaks, roasted corn on the cob, potato salad , baked beans, garlic bread and desserts. And a whole lot of beer
    I want to do Ribeye's, we do them all the time, but I am saving that for when Klasien gets here. Woot!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Where is the macaroni salad, people? One pound macaroni cooked and cooled. Add cubed cheddar cheese, (one block will do), 1/2 bottle of sweet pickle gerkins cut up into little pieces, and one 10 oz pkg of petite sweet peas, defrosted. You can also add some celery (or celery seed) and hard cooked eggs (I usually don't, as there are also deviled eggs available). Add as much mayo as you want, and season as you like. I add some garlic and onion salt or powder and pepper (white or black). I use some kind of seasoned salt, too, like Herbamare. Finally, top off with paprika, I personally like the smoked paprika.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my version of the pasta salad that others have posted.
    PASTA SALAD

2 Bags of the spiral multi flavor garden pasta
    1 package mixed frozen peas and carrots
    1 Package ham
    1 block cheese...any kind...I use half pepper jack and half cheddar or Colby
    2 Bell peppers...I use yellow and red
    1 Bottle Kraft Italian dressing/marinade
    1 bottle Roasted Red Pepper Parmesan dressing
    1 small piece red onion (optional)
    1 jar of green or black olives (optional)

●Boil pasta accordingly, drain & let cool
    ●Dice bell peppers.....as small as you want...not too small
    ●Cut cheese & ham into small pieces
    ●Cut olives in half or as desired
    ●Combine everything along with defrosted peas and carrots to the cooled pasta.
    ●Dice about 1/4 of red onion and add with everything else to pasta.

●Add half of each bottle of dressing and mix until all is covered....save the rest to add a little as needed before serving.

I throw the peas & carrots in with the boiling pasta about a minute before I drain.

This makes a lot of salad!
    Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Broccoli salad - Broccoli florets, bacon, cheese dressed with mayo, sugar, vinegar dressing. Many people also add red onion, but my family are not onion fans.