Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My Unbiased Opinion

I never could understand quilt snobs. The earliest quilts made were made to be used fr9m whatever materials were available. I wish everyone had the opportunity to feel the amazing fabric I got to handle over the weekend. Most of it was under $4-5 yd, but felt like it cost much more. I brought 6 yds of a white on white home with me, and yd of a beautiful Robert Kaufman teal. Those high dollar shops can keep their fabric. I will always buy from M*, and where I spent my week end.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

And this is exactly why I decided to open my own shop. We have a Joann's, a Hancock, a hobby lobby, a micheals and a LQS. So many people say the employees at the LQS are downright rude and treat them much the same way.

In my opinion, all money spends the same. I will do anything I can to make a customer happy. I realize not everyone can spend $12.00 a yard for fabric, and that they CHOOSE where they want to shop. I want them to choose me because of my selection and my friendly customer service. A happy customer is a repeat customer.
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

3. Thanks pamipatch, klgls, Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mchelem View Post
    A happy customer is a repeat customer.
    Couldn't agree more!

I go to my LQS as often as I can afford. The two saleswomen are lovely people, always very helpful and up for a chat, even though I mostly only buy their discount fabrics (Come on, I can't afford $25/m!). I always tend to spend more than I wanted to, but never actually feel bad about it because the experience is always great! (And I don't know any quilters in real life anyway, so that's my only chance to have an actual conversation with one! )

5. Thanks pamipatch thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I believe this also applies to other areas of sewing/quilting such as sewing machines and cutting tools. We should buy what we can afford and not be looked down at if we don't buy top of the line.

7. Thanks klgls thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine if they behave like snobs working in a quilt shop they behave like snobs most everywhere. I have no time for such people who act as though they are superior to others. In a way I feel sorry for them because of their lack of intelligence. Having a narrow mind is a sad way to go through life.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; July 1st, 2014 at 09:08 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

People who "judge" you by your fabrics and choices are just not the people I want to spend my time with! I sew with 3 gals, each with their own taste and skill level... our prize winning friend enjoys each of our projects with enthusiasum and we all laugh together and have a great time...
    I worked in the walmart fabric dept. locally before they switched to the "shelf style" only hobby center and LOVED helping every one choose fabrics and explained anything I had the knowledge to help with in knit, crochet and sewing! Walmart did not agree with my spending too much time with customers... so after a 3 year stint.. I just told them ,,, goodbye,, this isn't fun anymore...LOL
    Shops don't understand the balance between customer service and profits... that's why M* is successful and growing... and also why the LQS's are failing!!! Just sayin'...
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

10. Thanks pamipatch thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I have admitted to being a thread snob, but fabric choices are just that...choices. It depends on who, where and how the quilt will be used. If I really like the fabric and it's $12.00 a yard I will probably get it. I have also made quilts from 40 year old scraps that came from who knows where. I don't want to stress when I see my grandchild drag a quilt around that it may get ruined, because it is loved and that is my goal. So in that quilt I won't use pricey fabric. However, some quilts have been costly, and they aren't used for everyday, maybe just displayed on a wall. The sad issue here is the attitude of snobby clerks. My experience on both sides of the counter has been that quilters are lovely, kind ,interesting people, and one can learn something from most conversations. They are honest, helpful, sharing, and come from all walks of life and skill and income levels. If the "fabric snobs" took some time to get to know the quilter, they would probably make a friend, a customer and even learn something in the process.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I love about the owner of one of my LQS, Edith. She is always willing to give advice even on items that I obviously didn't buy the fabric for at her store. Of course she also knows that 90% of the time I go in there I leave with stuff so she gets her share of my quilting dollars. At another store that just opened they have some super cute fabric around the same price but I have always felt ignored by the new owners. They get only a few of my quilting dollars-I have to really love the fabric.

I think it is hilarious that people are so crazy about "quilt quality fabric". Originally quilt quality fabric was just any fabric you could get your hands on. I think we could probably learn a little from that attitude and certainly not look down on people who are doing good work with all kinds of fabric.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely!!
    Having managed both a proper quilt shop and the manager of the fabric dept of a large discount store, I've seen and heard it all. My staff copped a whooping if I EVER heard them make snotty remarks about a customers choice, budget or skill level. If they served them differently they were reprimanded on the spot. I hate it!!

Now that I'm designing full time, my designs are aimed at those on a more limited budget. Those who fall in love with a certain focal fabric need to feel comfortable about combining it with cheaper lines or what they may already have.

Patchwork fabric in Oz at quilt shop prices is around $28m. Im all for supporting my local quilt shops as I can afford it, but even the shop owners know many women can't afford their prices. Sharing info on where they can buy cheaper lines, or discontinued end of range fabrics is the way to go. Speak to your local thrift store about saving cotton clothing with tears or stains they may otherwise discard, and make up bags full for quilters, also jars of buttons. When you see super bargains pass the word to those who will appreciate it.

There should be room for everyone in this hobby, regardless of budget.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The most important part of a quilt is the love that goes into the making of it. That is independent of the particular materials chosen or the level of skill of the person making it. Maybe that is why I love scrappy quilts--they remind me of the types of quilts that were made from whatever was available, but with love. I appreciate the skill that goes into some of the quilts that I see on the walls of quilt shops and at quilt shows, but I don't think they should be some sort of "standard" for the rest of us. I am relatively near three quilt shops (near home and near work). I have personally experienced rudeness at one of them and have witnessed it at another. I just don't get the point of that at all.

Marci