Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default No, I probably shouldn

Hit enter before I was done....title should read....No, I probably shouldn't touch that!

Ok so yesterday I headed off to Raleigh to attend the Sewing and Quilt Expo with a girlfriend who is not currently a quilter but has expressed interest in it. I spent a fair amount of time explaining pre-cuts, designs, rulers, etc. which was actually fun because just a year ago I didn't know anything myself! So as we passed the Handi-Quilter booth she was puzzled by the ominous appearance of a LA and frame. As I was explaining what it was, I also told her that although I love to piece, I find quilting difficult because I do it on my domestic machine and I really don't enjoy the process. Not only do I not know how to use a LA, I also have no room for the frame nor the money to pay for such a machine! Well, of course, the Handi-Quilter teacher was right there and encouraged me with all the right words to at least TRY IT! She even gave me the "why move the paper under the pencil when you can move the pencil over the paper" speech! So, I put my hands on those handlebars, she started the machine, and there I was....making circles...making e's...making waves....meandering....YIKES....I LOVED IT! I realized that quilting could be easier!!! Now I'm trying to figure out where I could put it and how many more chickens I need to produce the number of eggs I need to pay for it!!!! LOL
    Judy

2. Thanks monklesmom thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: No, I probably shouldn

I know how you feel!!!! I'm in the same position, not enough room, not enough money!
    ***Kathy***

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

ditto on the space/money thing.... but someday

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So Judy is trying to figure out how to insulate the chicken coop . . .
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You are NOT alone in that!

I am going so far as to get certified on the one our LQS has so I can rent time on it to finish a couple of big quilts that I don't want to shove through my little machine.

Maybe by the time my daughter moves out, I'll have saved up enough $$$$ to afford one and I can use her room for the frame. I have 10 years before she's 18. I might be able to do it.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

7. Thanks monklesmom thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I started out with a Handiquilter table top frame and my Brother 1500 straight stitch machine...got the frame for $100 off of Craigslist. It was a great learning experience. Then I found a Grace frame for $250 on Craigslist and used the same machine on it. Next I found a used 18" Tin Lizzie on Craigslist for $3500. Well worth the money and you'd be surprised how little space you can fit it in. Would love to have a larger LA, but I can do a lot with what I have. I sold the Grace frame to my local quilt guild and loaned them my Brother machine, and have been training any member of the guild that wants to learn machine quilting. Beats the heck out of moving the fabric around....love to piece and now love to quilt it too.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toggpine View Post
    You are NOT alone in that!

I am going so far as to get certified on the one our LQS has so I can rent time on it to finish a couple of big quilts that I don't want to shove through my little machine.

Maybe by the time my daughter moves out, I'll have saved up enough $$$$ to afford one and I can use her room for the frame. I have 10 years before she's 18. I might be able to do it.
    You sure she's moving out at 18? I have one here that is probably going to have boot prints on his behind to get him to move out. And he's a few years older than 18! One of my brothers told me that his youngest moved back home 6 times before she was financially stable.

But - a few years ago I noticed he quit using the playroom. I told everyone it was MINE! And I have most of my quilting/sewing stuff in there now.

I already warned DH that I'm interested in a mid-arm. As soon as the dust settles from the remodel that is!
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toggpine View Post
    That's what I'd call planning ahead!

I'd love to try a longarm, or midarm, or even a better normal sewing maching than mine! Good thing I don't know anybody who's got a LA! But I'm afraid to go to the machine dealer around here to get my machine fixed, because I know he's got these reaaally nice machines there, just standing around, practically begging to be taken for a spin...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jsmetcalf View Post
    Hit enter before I was done....title should read....No, I probably shouldn't touch that!

Ok so yesterday I headed off to Raleigh to attend the Sewing and Quilt Expo with a girlfriend who is not currently a quilter but has expressed interest in it. I spent a fair amount of time explaining pre-cuts, designs, rulers, etc. which was actually fun because just a year ago I didn't know anything myself! So as we passed the Handi-Quilter booth she was puzzled by the ominous appearance of a LA and frame. As I was explaining what it was, I also told her that although I love to piece, I find quilting difficult because I do it on my domestic machine and I really don't enjoy the process. Not only do I not know how to use a LA, I also have no room for the frame nor the money to pay for such a machine! Well, of course, the Handi-Quilter teacher was right there and encouraged me with all the right words to at least TRY IT! She even gave me the "why move the paper under the pencil when you can move the pencil over the paper" speech! So, I put my hands on those handlebars, she started the machine, and there I was....making circles...making e's...making waves....meandering....YIKES....I LOVED IT! I realized that quilting could be easier!!! Now I'm trying to figure out where I could put it and how many more chickens I need to produce the number of eggs I need to pay for it!!!! LOL
    I understand Ryan can help you design a new chicken coop . And maybe even a shed to house the long arm.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire OneStitchAtATime View Post
    I understand Ryan can help you design a new chicken coop . And maybe even a shed to house the long arm.
    I already have 3 chicken coops housing my 60 plus chickens so I don't need another one of those BUT I do have the old log cabin (original homestead - NEEDS A LOT OF WORK) right outside my kitchen window that might work if I can convince my husband that IN ADDITION to the cost of the Avante LA set-up, we need to spend a few more dollars to revamp that cabin into a studio. Hmmm.......
    Judy