• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • searchfamilies
    Batting Beauty
    • Jul 2012

How can you know how much fabric you need

I have a question how can you work out the amount of fabric you need for a quilt
    I have the Log Cabin tool so can do different size blocks & was wondering if i was to do say a 8 or 12 inch block
    How do i know if i would have enough fabric before starting it

That been a problem for me i have fabric that i like but it may only be a yard or so & if i want to do it in to blocks how do i know if i will have enough for whatever size i decide to do

I would hate to start a project but find out that i don't have enough fabric to do the size i want

Hugs Janice
  • buckeyequilter
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2012

Re: How can you know how much fabric you need

I usually search the internet for a similar pattern and see what the fabric requirements are.

I also have a lot of 1/2 yard and 1 yard cuts.....that is why I love scrappy quilts
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

• Sylvia H
      Missouri Star
      • May 2014

I had to do this recently, as I changed the color combination and the size of a quilt, but I knew the size of the block and how much material was needed for each of the three types of blocks. If you are doing the log cabin block for the whole quilt, first figure out how many blocks you need, and then multiply the yardage amount of one block by the number of blocks you need to make. HTH
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
        Missouri Star
        • Jan 2012

Here's how I would estimate fabric need. Think about square inches needed to make the top the size you want to make. If you laid the pieces of uncut fabric out, would it be big enough to cover the area that your top would be? Then you need about 25% more to allow for seams and waste. This is a very inexact way of estimating, but would make you realize that 3 yards of fabric won't make a king size quilt. I also think about backing, how many yards will it take to back the quilt? The amount for the top must at least exceed that. Then estimate if you have one color that dominates, you will need more of that fabric. It's inexact for sure, just use this when shopping your stash.

If you know your pattern, you can estimate how many pieces you need, then see how many pieces you can get from 1 WOF, estimate how many WOF you will need to cut, then buy yardage for that.

Comment

• songbird857
          Missouri Star
          • Jan 2014

I came across this a while ago - I printed it and have it on my wall for reference Hope it helps you...

Comment

• buckeyequilter
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
            I came across this a while ago - I printed it and have it on my wall for reference Hope it helps you...
            http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...6b4e0af82c.jpg
            Nice!!! I'm going to print that and hang it on my board because I was just looking at log cabin quilts and the different lay outs and I think I'm going to make another one.
            Shirley aka buckeyequilter
            I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Comment

• Quiltfreestyle
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2014

Robert Kaufman has an app that does all the math for you when you need to figure out borders, backing etc.
              I use it to figure out how much yardage I need for various parts of blocks. Works great & it's on my phone so I always have it with me at the store.
              Just search the App Store for quilting apps & you should find it. It's free too
              May the road rise up to meet you...
              May the wind be always at your back...
              May you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil knows you're dead...
              Patt :icon_wave:

Comment

• ravelim
                The Guild President
                • Mar 2014

Fabric Calculator
                Hope this link works. Anyway, I just ran across this. Maybe it will help?
                Mary :icon_popcorn:

Comment

• Claire OneStitchAtATime
                  Missouri Star
                  • May 2014

I have that RK app too. Great if you have a smartphone.

Comment

• searchfamilies
                    Batting Beauty
                    • Jul 2012

Thank you i will give it a try when i next do one that i don't have the yardage for
                    Hugs Janice

Originally posted by buckeyequilter View Post
                    I usually search the internet for a similar pattern and see what the fabric requirements are.

I also have a lot of 1/2 yard and 1 yard cuts.....that is why I love scrappy quilts

Comment

• searchfamilies
                      Batting Beauty
                      • Jul 2012

Thanks i don't have a phone but may be it can go on my tablet which if i was going away i take with me instead of a laptop
                      Hugs Janice

Originally posted by Quiltfreestyle View Post
                      Robert Kaufman has an app that does all the math for you when you need to figure out borders, backing etc.
                      I use it to figure out how much yardage I need for various parts of blocks. Works great & it's on my phone so I always have it with me at the store.
                      Just search the App Store for quilting apps & you should find it. It's free too

Comment

• searchfamilies
                        Batting Beauty
                        • Jul 2012

Thanks for your reply
                        Hugs Janice

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
                        I had to do this recently, as I changed the color combination and the size of a quilt, but I knew the size of the block and how much material was needed for each of the three types of blocks. If you are doing the log cabin block for the whole quilt, first figure out how many blocks you need, and then multiply the yardage amount of one block by the number of blocks you need to make. HTH

Comment

• searchfamilies
                          Batting Beauty
                          • Jul 2012

Thanks I have a lot of FQs also so wanted to know if i was using them
                          Hugs Janice

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                          Here's how I would estimate fabric need. Think about square inches needed to make the top the size you want to make. If you laid the pieces of uncut fabric out, would it be big enough to cover the area that your top would be? Then you need about 25% more to allow for seams and waste. This is a very inexact way of estimating, but would make you realize that 3 yards of fabric won't make a king size quilt. I also think about backing, how many yards will it take to back the quilt? The amount for the top must at least exceed that. Then estimate if you have one color that dominates, you will need more of that fabric. It's inexact for sure, just use this when shopping your stash.

If you know your pattern, you can estimate how many pieces you need, then see how many pieces you can get from 1 WOF, estimate how many WOF you will need to cut, then buy yardage for that.

Comment

• searchfamilies
                            Batting Beauty
                            • Jul 2012

Thank you so much for this
                            Hugs Janice

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
                            http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73...6b4e0af82c.jpg

Comment

• searchfamilies
                              Batting Beauty
                              • Jul 2012

Thank you have saved it
                              Hugs Janice

Originally posted by ravelim View Post
                              Fabric Calculator
                              Hope this link works. Anyway, I just ran across this. Maybe it will help?

Comment

Working...
                              X