Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default question on nesting seams that don't nest

Can you give this newbie quilter advice please? I sewed quilt blocks together with seams pressed to the dark side as instructed. When I sewed the columns together there was no problem nesting them until I get to the middle column. The seams all want to go the same direction now --and are sewn into the previous seams. Should I sew them all laying the same way, which makes it bulky, --or nest and press half the seam one direction and half the opposite direction? Thanks.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: question on nesting seams that don't nest

How light is the light fabric? If it's not that light I would press it to the other side. But I'm not overly picky. Others might not do that. If it is, then I would do what you suggested (ironing flat) to try and eliminate the bulk. Good luck!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot depends on the pattern as to how well seams nest. Patterns with a lot of angles & points coming together at one spot, I often press the seams open. Without seeing a pic, it's hard to know just exactly what your situation is. I try to plan ahead when pressing seams. I lay out all my blocks on my "design floor" (the fam. rm. carpet). I label the 1st block of each row with a number & an arrow, so it's easier to remember which way to press the seams as I sew together the blocks. Sometimes, the seams just don't meet opposite for nesting. You can press that one to fit the situation. It won't matter if there is a slight twist in the seam. It won't show once the quilting is done. JCY

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    I think a lot depends on the pattern as to how well seams nest. Patterns with a lot of angles & points coming together at one spot, I often press the seams open. Without seeing a pic, it's hard to know just exactly what your situation is. I try to plan ahead when pressing seams. I lay out all my blocks on my "design floor" (the fam. rm. carpet). I label the 1st block of each row with a number & an arrow, so it's easier to remember which way to press the seams as I sew together the blocks. Sometimes, the seams just don't meet opposite for nesting. You can press that one to fit the situation. It won't matter if there is a slight twist in the seam. It won't show once the quilting is done. JCY
    I agree...I had a similar problem and boy was I stressing out thinking you might see a big bump....I eventually trimmed some of the bulkiness and once I quilted it...it was like POOF! Nothing was there....I was so relieved....it will work out between quilting, usage and washing no one will know...no quilt police here....
    Priscilla Lujan
    Los Angeles, CA

5. Thanks knitandtink thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I happily bump my sewing over those seams that are both headed in the same direction. Life is too short to worry too much about a few seams that can't nest because they've been sewn down in one direction instead of another. Sometimes that's just the way things turn out. Thank goodness there are no Quilt Police here or I'd already be hearing the sirens!
    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

7. Thanks knitandtink thanked for this post
    Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I generally repress the seams is the don't nest when sewing rows because they just match up better and I am OCD about my seams matching. I also swirl my seams if I have several coming together, like when you have HST all converging. but once you iron and quilt it, the bulk from the seams is usually not noticeable.
    My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If there is no risk of color showing through, I re-press the seams so I can get them to nest. However, if I am feeling particularly lazy, I just put a pin 1/4 inch down (where I would be sewing) into the top fabric, then line it up with fabric underneath, push the pin in. Once the pin is standing straight up, I know the seams are aligned. I gentle lock the pin in and start sewing. Though I will warn you...if that pin is not perfectly straight up your seams will not match and you will become fast friends with your seam ripper.
    Sandy B.
    "A heart that gives will never be empty."

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I will try sewing with a bump and not worry ab out it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is the spirit!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by knitandtink View Post
    Thanks everyone. I will try sewing with a bump and not worry ab out it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I usual twist the seam to make it nest. There is still a bump but I press hard and it disappears into the batting. It is a smaller bump than two seams going the same direction.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.