Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do I make this quilt?

I have made simple block quilts and I know that the base of most quilts are squares but I cannot figure how I make this quilt with all the frames. I know how to get the pictures but not making the frames and the rest. If you could explain in detail or have a video that will work for what I am trying to do it will be appreciated. There is actually 2 that I am interested in making for me and boyfriend for our 5th anniversary. I have not decided but if you can explain both thank you

My Quilt Story: Susan Stewart*|*Quilt Views & News

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/jessic...io/3313594309/

I think I like the book shelf one more but I have not decided.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do I make this quilt?

I think you probably need to find a pattern for quilts like these, especially since you are a relatively new or basic quilter. This sentence alone "Editor’s note: Susan Stewart is an award-winning quilter and the author of Heirloom Machine Sewing for Quilters" would have thrown up red flags for me, as far as this being an easy quilt. I'm not sure anyone could explain how to do a quilt like this with no pattern.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The second one is much more 'doable', and if you actually envision it as three separate panels (not counting borders), it's pretty easy to figure out how it is put together - don't think you would need a pattern. The top panel has the printed fabric on top with the 'film strip at the bottom. the second panel has the two printed fabric pieces, with the film strip running through it. The third panel has the film strip at the top and the printed fabric on the bottom.
    Looks like there was some quilting done over the images on the printed fabric as well. (not the photos - the fabric with the sites from Washington D.C.
    The black and white squares on the film strips don't look like pieced blocks (although you could do that); it looks like fussy cut black and white striped fabric.
    Last edited by songbird857; June 19th, 2014 at 02:25 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

First one:
    That's basically all appliqued. So I'd use black and brown fabric for the shelf, sew it together in strips, add a brown border. If you want it fancy, add an appliqué for the top and on the rim of every "shelf". Then use different types of ribbons and ric racs to add the frames to your fabric photos, then appliqué it onto the book shelf. If your up for it, you can also applique vases/baskets with flowers and real doilies.

Second one:
    As somebody else already mentioned, this one is easier and less involved. Take your fabric photos, sash them with black. Piece one black strip and a wider white strip together, cut them in little pieces, add those little pieces into a whole strip, add a black strip to the left and right. Then sew these strips to the top and bottom of your photo strips. You'll end up with 3 different "film rolls". Each one of these is going to be a "block" when you add the backround fabric to the top of on film roll, to the bottom of another, and to both top and bottom of the third. Sew them together. Square up. Add one small inner border and a wider outer border.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

You could also do the film strip with a thin black sashing and black and white striped fabric strip cut across the stripes.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Since you're a new quilter, I would suggest you stick to simple beginner's patterns until you get more experience. Those are not quilts I would even consider making, & I've been quilting several years. I don't do applique & at this point have no desire to learn. I prefer something that goes together more quickly & easily. JCY

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

As a relative newbie myself, I wouldn't undertake such a difficult pattern yet. I am still getting comfortable with cutting, piecing and putting borders on. I see improvement in my work all the time. I would work to get some experience prior to undertaking such a detailed project.

But I don't know what your skill sets are. Maybe you have been sewing for a long time and can do this without problem.