Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beyond Frustrated. HELP!

Way back in October, a friend of mine asked me to make a pair of quilts for her sons for Christmas. Both Queen sized, but simple patterns (6" square with 3" border and 1 1/2" sashing between the blocks.) The first one went together in nothing flat. The second one fought me the entire way. My friend and I had a talk, and I told her I could have them quilted in time for Christmas, but not the fine stippling in the 3" borders, the way we had discussed. She said to take my time and then borrowed the tops to give her sons, then brought them back in late February.

I've started on the first one. What I've done looks great, and is just the way I pictured it. The problem is I'm having to stop every three minutes to fix something with the thread. The bobbin thread comes up and sits on top like I'm embroidering. Or the top thread leaves huge loops on the back. I'm starting to wonder if the overall weight of the quilt is causing a problem. Is there a better way to support the stupid thing? Should I add some straight stitching in the sashing to help stabilize it? For those two or three mminutes, it works great, but I'm spending more time fixing problems them quilting.

I may layer the second quilt and try something different in the way of quilting on it to see if that works. In the meantime, anything you can suggest would be appreciated.

P.S. I finished a baby quilt on the weekend that had some loose stippling on it and I didn't have any problems at all. So either the tightness of the stippling or the weight of the quilt or both is what I'm thinking.
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Beyond Frustrated. HELP!

How to join up Quilt as you Go blocks and borders - Quilting Tips & Techniques 074 - YouTube

Meli, this is a link to a method I had used on a quilt for my Brother-in-Law......kind of like this,with my own twist to it!
    I would love to come over and help if you like.....
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Granny square quilt - 2 rows.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	78984

This is part of the quilt I was talking about!
    ~Kathy~

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I had these kind of problems with my machine (janome) and it took 3 trips to the repairman to get it fixed. Here are some of the solutions:

the bobbin holder had a loose screw

the tension wheel needed attension as it was sticking and wouldn't turn

the whole machine had a srevice (even though it's new)

Other solutions were :

check the machine is threaded correctly including the bobbin being inthe right way round and threaded correctly.

type of thread. My machine hates Coates Moon and makes it sort of form bobbles which means the thread won't go through the machine.

change your needle.

I hope you get it sorted - it's very frustrating.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not an expert by far, but if you could quilt the small quilt without a hitch, then it might be the drag of the larger quilt. How do you do it? Roll it up? If so, try to open it up. I had most success by "fluffing and stuffing" it, meaning I put my sewing maching on the right side of my dinner table and let the quilt lay on the left and just keep the space where you actually sew flat. Just make sure that the part that is on your lap/chest doesn't drag or fall on the floor and drag. (There is a video on YT of the fluffing and stuffing method, but I can't find that, but this one is similar: Paula Reid: Fluff & Stuff Machine Quilting Technique - YouTube)

Also, have you tried slowing down?

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy, you use this quilt as you go method? What if the sashing is 1.5 inches? Will it create a flat void in the middle of the quilt if it's done this way?

Quote Originally Posted by bkthomas View Post
    How to join up Quilt as you Go blocks and borders - Quilting Tips & Techniques 074 - YouTube

Meli, this is a link to a method I had used on a quilt for my Brother-in-Law......kind of like this,with my own twist to it!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a solution but i do feel your pain. I am trying to finish the quilt for my father and the thread keeps breaking. This morning i put in a new needle new bobbin i hope this helps as i had to leave for work before i could check it out.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

THanks for the suggestion. I've done QAYG in the past with other quilts, but this one is WAY past the point of no return, if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by bkthomas View Post

If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

9. Thanks Resie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I totally understand......we need a mid arm sit down machine......lots of throat space there!
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ayaandjudah View Post
    Kathy, you use this quilt as you go method? What if the sashing is 1.5 inches? Will it create a flat void in the middle of the quilt if it's done this way?
    No, I did my own version of this.....the front and batting were cut the same but the back was cut 1" larger on all 4 sides....then I joined the blocks together with the backs RST and sewed as close as possible to the batting....pressed the seam allowance open, then just folded the seam allowance under (in half) and pressed then stitched down.
    I did this row by row then put the rows together the same way!

Of course I quilted the blocks first.
    Last edited by bkthomas; June 12th, 2014 at 09:38 PM.
    ~Kathy~