Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Hexi Questions

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Question Hexi Questions

I am going to be spending about 36 hours riding a bus in a couple of weeks and would like to take a Hexi project with me to work on. I have never made hexis before and after some research I have a few questions.

I am going to use paper templates. Do you stitch through the paper?
    Single or Double thread when basting?
    Some people cut their fabric in a hexagon shape and some use a square shape. What are your thoughts on that?
    Any tips on putting together a "kit" for travel?
    I would also appreciate any tips or suggestions you can give me.

Thank you.

Rebecca

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hexi Questions

I assume you mean English Paper Piecing.
    I too use the paper templates and I stitch through the paper. You can reuse the template at least 3 times.
    I use a single thread when basting, some color that shows up well so that it is easy to see when removing it.
    I use a straight pin to fix the template onto the fabric, and then cut a 1/4 around it, in a hexagon shape.
    Travel kit - Fabric for the hexies, and maybe some fabric for the joining color if you are using one. A couple of needles, spool of basting thread, spool of thread to be used then attaching the hexies together for the final quilt top, more straight pins than you think you will need, and scissors. A couple of zip lock bags, one for hexies in process, and one for finished "flowers". Sometimes I find that I pin a bunch of templates to the fabric, then I cut all of them, then I baste all of them, then I put them into the flower shape. A finished "flower" shape makes me feel more accomplished. Also, I use the Polka-a-Dots instead of a thimble and it helps when stitching through the template. Have fun.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Everything that dmt148 has mentioned.

I have done loads of hexies, but something new that one of my craft groupies suggested - instead of tacking, use a light spray-on glue to hold the 1/4" allowance onto the templates. I watched her doing it and it looked very fuss-free - the paper template came away easily and was more reusable than my tacked on templates.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished doing a grandmothers flower garden top. Still needs to be quilted but that will come in time. I used 1" that were cut from copy paper. I did not sew through the paper my fabric was cut into 2 1/2 " squares. I am now working on my second top in my little travel box that I carry every were with me are the papers some cut squares, my needle nest, and thread. I just use any thread for basting single thread. Then I also have my hand quilting thread in the same little box. I do not pin my fabric to the hexie I just hold in place and baste in place.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaryD View Post
    Everything that dmt148 has mentioned.

I have done loads of hexies, but something new that one of my craft groupies suggested - instead of tacking, use a light spray-on glue to hold the 1/4" allowance onto the templates. I watched her doing it and it looked very fuss-free - the paper template came away easily and was more reusable than my tacked on templates.
    Glue stick works a treat, spray would be messy. I like the coloured glue stick so I can see where the glue is.

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I used Elmer's Washable glue stick for sticking my paper to the fabric. Just a dab will hold the paper in place nicely. I have even ironed my flowers and the paper still came off without any problem. The large size of plastic school boxes work great for carrying your supplies.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epp travel kit.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	78758
    Here is my EPP travel kit. I also carry it everywhere. One never knows when there will be time to stitch. It is an Art Bin 7" x 10" with handle.
    Last edited by cdlake; June 10th, 2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: add to it

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help! I'm ready to put my travel kit together and head up the road. I am looking forward to this new adventure.
    Rebecca