Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default I don't think I told you......

About 3-4 weeks ago, Spencer, the large Chi (he was my husband's dog), ate my hearing aid.... This is the second time. Different dig, different decade, but the same result.... Achhhhhhh. My little Finn...aka Pookey.... would have never done such a thing... Never.

Well.... While waiting to see my ENT, for a check up....and to see the audiologist to be evaluated foe a new hearing
    aid......a vert strange thing happened.... After a couple of weeks of relative silence....watching TV was a challenge. ,, even with captions,..and lots of reading.....and almost no conversation ( I live alone).... something truly strange happened to me. I developed something called Musical Ear Syndrome...... I began hearing music 24/7. All of it music I was familiar with..... Mostly hymns, but there was Christmas music, novelty songs, patriotic music, etc.

It started with a male chorus, but progressed to mixed voices, solos, and instruments (mostly brass). After a while, I found that I could control what I heard, the tempo, pitch....and various harmonies.....I have spent a lifetime harmonizing with small ground, as well working with more traditional choirs. Ne of my very favorite things to do is to work out my own harmonies..,,

Anyway, as you can imagine, what was initially funny, became maddeningly... I could do lots if things with this music, but could not turn it off.... It drove me crazy....

It was heartening to learn that MES is fairly common....especially among older people, who have hearing deficiencies, and live alone. My audiologist has had it all her life, and it doesn't 't seem to bother her very much.

The music is, of course, a Hallucination, but not a psychiatric one... Thank goodness.... The part of the brain involved is the sAme area we use to listen to music,

The theory is that when things are too quiet....for too long.....the brain creates music, to fill the void... Something like that, anyway.... You can look it up.

My MES has greatly improved since I received my new hearing aid,,,just as I has hoped it would,,,,, it gets better every day... In fact, yesterday was music free. What a relief. If it returns, I turn the TV on, turn the volume up, and after a while, the music will go away. Also, I find that if I try to ignore the music, and con't participate in it, the music will go away.

It sounds crazy, I know, but MES is real.... I was thought to be rare, for a long time, but people were just afraid to talk about it..... Now we know that MES is far from being rare.

It is not the same as getting a snippet of music in your head, and having it bug you all day.... The music is very real.

Got to get busy.... Thanks for listening...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I don't think I told you......

Wow Sandy I have never heard if that. Hope everything gets better.
    Shirley

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - never heard of it! Doubt I could hear any music like that with the loud ringing in my ears. I had to take a lot of ibuprofen over the weekend and when I do that the ringing gets loud. Sometimes I turn music on to drown out the ringing!
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We've missed you, Sandy, but it sounds like you were busy with the choirs! Glad you got things under control, and put that new hearing aid high out of the dog's reach!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

WOW indeed.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sandy,

My tinnitus is much the same. When I go without my hearing aid for a while my ear starts ringing really loudly. It can be really annoying. I'm glad you got it figured out. But think of the money you can save on Sirius Radio. LOL

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe that explains why Al and I can hear voices at night when we're trying to go to sleep. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Never heard of such an ailment, but I can definitely see how it could be annoying. Glad it is being controlled.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of this before. I am sorry you have had to deal with it! Crazy what our brains will do...
    Mary
    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How interesting! I had not heard of this either. I do know that dogs will damage/eat hearing aids. It happened to my son. His HA was on the dresser, but the dog got to it anyway. It was almost brand new, too. He was able to get a replacement. Same son, different situation - he had his HA on top of the frig, but the case was left open. At that time he was having problems with a rat getting into his apt. During the night the rat ate his HA! He's still getting by with only 1 HA. He needs 2 new ones badly, but it has been a problem for him to get to the audiologist or to have the $ to replace it. He has a 1 hr. commute each way to his job, plus he doesn't have a car. He must use public transportation or have a friend take him places. I hope the music has stopped. JCY

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Am glad that the music is leaving...my only thought was I hope that it was on pitch. Like you I have sung all my life and there is nothing worse than that one person who is just slightly off pitch...........
    Home is where your mother is..........