Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The price of Honey Buns at M*?

I sent Al a message about this.

Lorie - that's a good point.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been reluctant to buy JR strips & Honey Buns. For the same amt. of $ you could get so much more yardage. Of course, you have to cut it yourself. But then...considering that several have been displeased with the accuracy of pre-cuts, maybe yardage is better in the long run. JCY

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Got a message from Al. All the Honey Buns have the correct number now.

Thanks Al!
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good job Vonnie and of course AL!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCY View Post
    I've been reluctant to buy JR strips & Honey Buns. For the same amt. of $ you could get so much more yardage. Of course, you have to cut it yourself. But then...considering that several have been displeased with the accuracy of pre-cuts, maybe yardage is better in the long run. JCY
    Actually, jelly rolls and honey buns have ALL the fabrics from a line in them. A jelly roll is 22.00 and yardage is 10.00. If you bought 1/4 yard of all the fabrics in the line, you would have to buy 21 fabrics at 2.50 for 1/4 yard, so 52.50, and you have to cut it all yourself. You'll get 3 strips instead of 2, but you're not saving money...

And just so it's said, M*QC has to abide by the manufacturers rules regarding price. They tell you what the retail prices should be....
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mchelem View Post
    Actually, jelly rolls and honey buns have ALL the fabrics from a line in them.
    Nope. Not when you buy a one coloured JR or HB for sashing. For example, the Kona Cotton White Honey Bun (Kona Solids - White Honey Bun - Robert Kaufman Fabrics - Robert Kaufman) contains 40 1 1/2" strips, that's about 1 2/3 yds. It retails at 21.95 (or 26.-), a yard of Kona cotton retails at 5.95 (Kona Cotton - White Yardage - Robert Kaufman Fabrics - Robert Kaufman).

Sooo, for the price of a honey bun you could actually buy 3 2/3 yds of yardage of the same fabric! In other words, you get more than the amount of two honey buns when you buy yardage.

7. Thanks pixiedust0830 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cat - That is probably holds true for the single-color solids. (And one reason I don't buy them.)

I think the lure of most of the pre-cuts is the ability to purchase the entire range of the fabric line. In which case, the other pricing scenario comes into play.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cat77 View Post
    Nope. Not when you buy a one coloured JR or HB for sashing. For example, the Kona Cotton White Honey Bun (Kona Solids - White Honey Bun - Robert Kaufman Fabrics - Robert Kaufman) contains 40 1 1/2" strips, that's about 1 2/3 yds. It retails at 21.95 (or 26.-), a yard of Kona cotton retails at 5.95 (Kona Cotton - White Yardage - Robert Kaufman Fabrics - Robert Kaufman).

Sooo, for the price of a honey bun you could actually buy 3 2/3 yds of yardage of the same fabric! In other words, you get more than the amount of two honey buns when you buy yardage.
    For solid colors, I can see buying it yardage. But not for the "whole line" rolls. And to get 42 1 1/2 strips, you'd need 1 3/4 yards. Still cheaper..
    Last edited by Mchelem; June 14th, 2014 at 03:12 PM.
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toggpine View Post
    Cat - That is probably holds true for the single-color solids. (And one reason I don't buy them.)

I think the lure of most of the pre-cuts is the ability to purchase the entire range of the fabric line. In which case, the other pricing scenario comes into play.
    Right. I like having all the fabrics in a particular collection. Now if I needed 4 jelly rolls to make a quilt ,
    I could see buying 1/3 yard cuts of all the fabrics, and it being a more sensible $$ choice.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mchelem View Post
    Right. I like having all the fabrics in a particular collection. Now if I needed 4 jelly rolls to make a quilt ,
    I could see buying 1/3 yard cuts of all the fabrics, and it being a more sensible $$ choice.
    I bought a bunch of skinny quarters. When I got home I could only get one 2 1/2" out of each one. The lady cutting the fabric with scissors did not make sure the fabric was on grain. The elbows were so bad that it was a waste of my time and money.
    Vonnie