Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Who taught you to sew?

I started in 4-H with instructor, Daisey Byrum (Fristoe, MO). My Mother taught me much at home after 4-H, My Mother sewed most of my clothes in my elementary school years. I watched my Grandmother hand-piece all of her quilt blocks during the cold winter months. I took three years of Home Ec (all three levels) in high school and was instructed by Pamela Lewis.
    In recent years, it has been Jenny Doan who revived my sewing abilities and lit the passion to quilt again!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We were required to take Home Economics in 9th grade (which was still part of junior high school at that time). One semester was spent on cooking, and one semester was spent on sewing. At the end of the semester there was a "fashion show" where we had to model what we had made in front of others in the evening (parents, etc.). I remember I made matching outfits for myself and my younger sister (who was nine years younger). I made "jams" and halter tops out of hot pink and avocado prints! The "jams" and tops had ruffles around the bottom of them! I also made a "shift" dress with an embroidered design on the front. Then I basically never sewed again until I was in my 30's with two small children. From then on, it was all self-taught.

Marci

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Self taught here I just love the internet I took a book some fabric and a cheap sewing machine and just worked at it. Then found u tube and I was off. My mom was a fantastic sewing dynamo when we were kids she made all my clothes or most of them but I was the outside where's the animals kid and the most I let her teach me was how to thread a hand needle. She just laughs and laughs now that I am sewing as she could not sit on me long enough to teach me

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My Mom taught me to sew. I even have some of the cocktail dresses she made for herself in my cedar chest. My earliest memories involve Mom sewing. I think I started around age 6. Mom taught me how to make clothes for my dogs ( she was tired of me using my own clothes on the pets LOL) I took home ec in junior high and in high school took a industrial sewing class. I remember coming home from school; and Mom would have recovered the sofa, chair ottoman and throw pillows. Always amazed me she could redecorate a room in day LOL. My nephew and niece were born when I was 11 to 13. I constantly made clothes for them as well as myself. When I married, Mom and I made curtains for my entire house. I taught myself to cross stitch, knit, tole paint. I didn't take up quilting until 3 years ago. I was facing a empty nest, DH was working the opposite shift. I came every night to just me and the dog. I was surfing the web one night and came across Jenny's tuts. Quilting was something Mom always wanted to do, but never did. On my first quilt, I felt Mom with me the entire process. Jenny will never know how much she gave me in this lonely time, and reconnected me with Mom.....the rest is as they say, history.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mother taught me how to sew...she had a floor model (not sure if it was a Singer or a Kenmore) that she kept in her bedroom...she made a lot of my clothing...she also did embroidery and crewel work...
    I love to do cross stitch that I picked up on my own after I got married...
    I LOVE TO SEW!!!
    Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My Mom started me sewing with doll clothes when I was 4 or 5. All those were done by hand till I got big enough to reach the treadle on her machine. I sewed much better then she did by the time I was 10! In 8th grade I had home ec with the teacher from h*ll. We made an apron. The pattern had to be pinned to the fabric every inch ( she measured them!), and various other crazy things. I was so frustrated that I bought fabric and made myself a 3 piece outfit with a tailored and lined blazer. I wore it to school just to show off. She was impressed, to say the least, and asked many questions about interfacing and lining. She had never lined anything.
    I made all my clothes from then on and when DD was born I made all her clothes. I made shirts and pjs for the boys till we were stationed in England. Then had to make blazers for them as I couldn't find anything to fit them. Later I made DD's wedding gown, and a tuxedo for oldest son. He wore it for quite a few years. I made clothes for my granddaughters, though one DIL made quite a few for her girl. She was a smocker, and the dresses were spectacular. Always made curtains and bedspreads and slipcovers.

I finally quit sewing clothes about 15 years ago because my shape changed and I was having trouble fitting things. I made my first quilt about 35 years ago. Made several more for the house and friends. Then cross-stitch took over. I still made an occasional quilt until 10 years ago when I came back to quilting.

Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

My grandma taught me to sew - I would spend summers at her house and we would sew items then as I got older i got away from sewing until about a year ago then I started back and have been enjoying myself

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

My Mom is teaching me!

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Myself! I didn't touch a sewing machine before winter 2011, when I just happened upon Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting on public TV!! I will be 45 next month....guess I'm just a late bloomer

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My mother in law was the one that took the time to show me how to sew. We started with shorts for my son, when he was 3 years old. Reading the pattern was important so she made sure I understood all of it. Now when I sew I take my time and go through the pattern a few times before I start anything. She is also the culprit that got me started on many other crafting things. I miss her.
    Vicki C