Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Vegetarian Food

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vegetarian Food

Hey everyone. I've been trying to find some super yummy vegetarian recipes and I was wondering if any of you had one to share.

Here's one I really like AND my meat eater hubby also enjoys. It's so easy to make, I've done it with a baby in one arm.

1 red bell pepper chopped (it doesn't have to be chopped perfect because you are going to blend it later)
    3-4 large carrots chopped
    1 med onion
    3 cloves of garlic
    1/2 tablespoon ginger
    7 cups veg stock (or chicken stock if you aren't totally strict on being vegetarian - I use chicken stock)
    1 cup RED lentils (MUST be red or it won't turn out very well)
    splash of olive oil
    salt and pepper

In a large pot, heat olive oil, chopped red pepper, carrots, chopped onion, chopped garlic, ginger, salt and pepper for 5 minutes on med heat.

Add stock and lentils and bring to a boil. Then cook for 25 minutes until carrots are tender.

Blend soup in a blender until smooth and ENJOY!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vegetarian Food

Vegan 'Beef' Stew

1 lb. cooked seitan, cut into 1-inch cubes
    3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    1 medium-sized onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    4 cups vegetable broth
    1 14-oz. can tomatoes
    1 Tbsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
    2 small bay leaves
    2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    6 carrots, julienned
    3 potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
    1 10-oz. pkg. frozen green beans
    1 10-oz. pkg. frozen corn
    2 Tbsp. cornstarch, dissolved in a small amount of water

•Sauté the seitan cubes in 2 tablespoonfuls of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat until the pieces begin to brown. Remove from heat.

•In a large pot, add the remaining tablespoonful of oil, the onion, and the garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent. Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, salt, and pepper and simmer for 1 hour.

•Add the carrots, potatoes, green beans, and corn. Cook for another 30 minutes and then thicken with the cornstarch mixture. Let simmer for an additional 5 minutes.

Makes 6 servings

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vegetarian Food

I started a blog and every Friday I post a new recipe. So far every recipe has been vegetarian (I do eat meat, but I guess it's just a fluke that every recipe has been vegetarian so far). This is my first time blogging and I'm still learning. I'll be posting more soon.

http://www.healthyparentsandkids.blogspot.com