Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Much Fabric to Buy For Stash

I'm trying to build my stash of kid fabric. How much fabric do you buy when you have no particular pattern in mind? I'm starting to make quilts for Project Linus.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Much Fabric to Buy For Stash

ALL OF IT!!!!. I am the worst person to ask about stash. See http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gen...-not-dent.html
    Dolores

3. Thanks pixiedust0830 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I keep an eye out for 100% cotton remnants at Joann, particularly solids :-)

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Another great place to look is at garage sales & estate sales. Check the ads in your local paper on the weekends.......if you see one that mentions fabric or quilting fabric and supplies........then jump in your car and race to the sale. Sometimes the sale might be a dud.....but lots of times you can find great fabric! I have found a lot of my fabric that way.

By the way......welcome to the forum!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly make scrap quilts so I buy 1/3 yd of things I like. I don't like fat quarters as I like using the length of things for sashing or borders, but they are convenient to buy if you like them. I also find pre-cuts too limiting but most people love them. I also like to have a goal in my fabric buying. One year I collected pretty golds, another year stars and dots. I bought other things as well, but these were the things I deliberately looked for.

If I think I'll use it in a border I'll buy up to 3 yards of something, and if it would be a perfect back I might buy up to 6 yards of a really super-great fabric on sale for a good price.

Everyone is different in how they use their fabric, so you'll have to find what works for you. Just know, if you like something it may not be there the next time you shop, so buy what you think you'll need for a future project.

Good luck and enjoy building your stash!
    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Remember, if it's not brand new from a store, WASH IT as soon as you get it home. Better yet, take it straight to a laundromat!

If not possible, repack it into bags that you brought shaking out the fabric - just as a precaution against creepy crawlies.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you are collecting kid fabrics, why not participate in a swap?

They have swaps here. Not sure when the next one is. This way you buy yardage in two or three designs, then cut up into whatever the requirements are, then send them to the person in charge, they sort, then mail back. Each one will have their own list of instructions.
    Vonnie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a ton of kids prints because I was making kids clothes. Since you are going to be making kids quilts I would pick out 3-4 patterns first. I'm staring to like patterns with just four or five fabrics. Here are a couple that are great examples not mine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squares.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	77883

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warm wishes pink.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	77884

Lorie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I just buy a yard of everything, unless a pattern calls for more. On a conservative day, or a day where I would rather have more prints than yardage, I get 1/2 yd cuts.
    "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a bunch of 1/3 yard cuts from a seller on etsy. I only wish I would'ave bought more. Sometimes she has bundles of scraps but they aren't what I consider scraps.