Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38
  1. #21
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,995
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How Much Fabric to Buy For Stash

    As much as you want! I usually buy at least one yard if I find something I like and the price is good.

  2. #22
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,597
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How Much Fabric to Buy For Stash

    Buy as much as you can smuggle in to your house.

  3. #23
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    3,199
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How Much Fabric to Buy For Stash

    I think alot of us had to laugh when we read your question! How much do we buy! As much as possible!!! Whenever possible!!! As often as possible! Wherever possible!! LOL!
    But really...I buy what I like but only if on sale and only if I know at least one of the kids is going to like it. I have 4 grand daughter and a grand son...so at least one has to like it and I try to always pick something for the boy as those are not as common as for the girls. And I will buy usually 1 yard...most things can be made with a yard and if more needed, I add a solid or other print. But.. I watch the sales at JOann's and when they have the coupons for 40-50% off.. that is for ONE CUT Of fabric meaning no matter how many yards. So I will get 2 yards for (almost) the price of one if I really like the fabric for the kids or...if it is some fabric I like for me or anything else...half price..can't beat that!
    I also watch my local thrift store...it often has a few pieces for 99 cents a yard or so. I just got some Betty Boop goes Hawaiian, 1/2 yard for 59cents and 3 yards of Thomas Train for 1.99.

  4. #24
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,721
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How Much Fabric to Buy For Stash

    Well I must be the odd one out. My stash has been growing for the past 5 years. I discovered I just love getting something fresh and new for the next project --so even though I spend half a day going thru my stash first, I am kind of bored by what's in my sewing closet and head out to the fabric store anyway. So lately I try only to buy how much I need for my current project. That is definitely keeping my stash under control. I actually feel stressed out if I have too much fabric. Isn't that crazy? But I hate clutter and having stuff all over so if I can't close my closet door it is def time to stop getting more!!

  5. #25
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    2,817
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How Much Fabric to Buy For Stash

    I'm just like you. I really try to buy by project and not just because. Of course, that doesn't mean I don't have a couple of projects ahead of me I definitely getting feeling antsy and stressed out if I have too much stuff growing in a closet or corner.

    Terri

    Quote Originally Posted by jjkaiser View Post
    Well I must be the odd one out. My stash has been growing for the past 5 years. I discovered I just love getting something fresh and new for the next project --so even though I spend half a day going thru my stash first, I am kind of bored by what's in my sewing closet and head out to the fabric store anyway. So lately I try only to buy how much I need for my current project. That is definitely keeping my stash under control. I actually feel stressed out if I have too much fabric. Isn't that crazy? But I hate clutter and having stuff all over so if I can't close my closet door it is def time to stop getting more!!

  6. #26
    The Guild President

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    504
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How Much Fabric to Buy For Stash

    If you're stash building, I suggest buying a yard. If you really like it, buy a couple of yards. I used to only buy half a yard, but never had enough if I wanted to use it as binding or borders. Live and learn!

  7. #27
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    W Europe
    Posts
    1,164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How Much Fabric to Buy For Stash

    Quote Originally Posted by tfrankum View Post
    If you're stash building, I suggest buying a yard. If you really like it, buy a couple of yards. I used to only buy half a yard, but never had enough if I wanted to use it as binding or borders. Live and learn!
    I've just learnt that lesson, too! There is a yardage thrift store that I visit every 2-3 weeks, and I usually buy a half meter (little more than half a yard) of a couple of fabrics that I may use. One of the fabrics I purchased last time would be perfect for the sashing in the project I'm now working at, but I don't have enough of it. Hopefully, I can buy some more next time I go before they run out of it.

    I usually buy more quantity of the plain colours or small prints that might work as borders, sashings AND backings, and less quantity of the large prints or too bright colours, that you'll need a lot of neutrals or lights to contrast with. But that's just me.

  8. #28
    Fabric Fanatic

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How Much Fabric to Buy For Stash

    What pattern is the pink quilt? I just love it.

  9. #29
    Designer Diva

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Grand Canyon AZ
    Posts
    469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How Much Fabric to Buy For Stash

    ROFL!! All of these answers are so funny and so correct!!! I read somewhere this rule, if you just like it, buy 1 yard. If you like it and keep going back to it, buy 2 yards. If you really really like it, buy 3 yards, and if you love it, buy the bolt. I must really LOVE fabric, I have a lot of bolts!

    If you are doing kid quilts, it will take (depending on the number of colors you use) between 1/4 to 1 yard of each color. Binding usually takes 1 yard +/- a few inches and backing will take 2 yards if the quilt is less than 42 x 50 inches wide or up to 4 yards if the quilt is over 42 inches wide, say 50 x 60 (you will have to piece the backing) *2 yards = 72 inches, so you are safe at 4 yards for a backing unless you want the binding to match the backing.. then add 1 yard*

    Also, if you want to do it scrappy, throw everything I just said out the window and start collecting fat quarters!

    This PART of my stash.. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130702_151511_033.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	78629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130702_151547_585.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	78630
    Just One More Yard - Blog
    Just One More Yard - Craftsy

    A clean house is the sign of a broken sewing machine!

  10. #30
    Missouri Star

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,597
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How Much Fabric to Buy For Stash

    Quote Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130702_151511_033.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	140.7 KB 
ID:	78629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130702_151547_585.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	78630
    They pose so pretty!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •