Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Night Owl Ponderings

Why is it that I can't leave well enough alone?

I had these two cheap jelly rolls. I wanted something easy to do with them so I can use the top as practice for my long arm lesson at the LQS.
    I thought I'd try a pattern I'd seen in a magazine.
    I cut the fabric and began to sew. I really didn't like it. It began to take on a bad 80's vibe. I had the strips laid out for color selection/layout and decided I liked that better. I really wasn't thrilled with the idea of un-sewing the 10 or 12 strip sets I had already assembled and sewn into the beginning of the top. When hubby mentioned that the layout piles looked better that the top, I had to go with my gut & frog it.
    Now, I could have left it at that and just sewn the colors together that I already had, but NO. This is where I had to add a bit more. I went to the store today and bought more fabrics for it. Now I have more cutting before sewing. I hope I love this thing now. It's still going to be practice fodder for the LA, but it might not be relegated to the Goodwill pile.

I dread having to think about a backing. I should just go with plain muslin. Probably won't happen. I have a whole tub of fabric dyes that are screaming to be used.

Anybody else have projects that take on a life of their own?
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Night Owl Ponderings

Many years ago I made a lap robe for my dad. Brought the top up to Chicago to finish it and he said it will look nice "when it's finished ... you know when it's bigger so I can lay under it when I'm in my recliner."

So added a small border and then large blocks at the head and foot. Then went all around with another narrow border. It was still a bit narrow so added a larger border all the way around. The lap robe wound up looking like a medallion in the center of the new creation. Although I wasn't too happy with the way it looked he said it was ideal. My dad was like that ... he could look at a hot mess and see a masterpiece!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes!!! I have some embroidered butterfly blocks for a quilt for my DD.....so far I have bought 3 or 4 different butterfly fabrics to go with it Oh Boy!
    Not to mention all my other UFO's!
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy, Like you I tend to tinker with my quilts and they hardly ever look like the one I planned and figured out in detail on paper. There is always at least one fabric that isn't right so I go out and buy another fabric. Wait wasn't the quilt planned to stash bust so why am I buying more fabric? I'd tell myself it's a giving quilt but since I want them to look as good as any other quilt I make I get the seam ripper out. Sometimes I change the size of the blocks, seam ripper again or I won't have enough fabric to make the quilt the size needed.

Up for awhile and doing things I should have done earlier - washing an outfit I want to wear today, collecting after dinner dishes and cups and getting dishwasher going and gathering stuff I want to take to my sister's this afternoon. She has a Carpenters Wheel kit she wants to begin and we're going to go over the directions and make a sample block from scraps. The pattern is one huge block in the middle surrounded by many different size and color borders so it is important I go over with her how to measure the quilt before adding each border.

Washer has beeped me so off I go.
    Last edited by MayinJerset; June 1st, 2014 at 05:19 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Not a night owl..but early morning owl....although it was after 1 before I truly went to sleep. I have inventory today at two stores....was up late the last two nights due to a tooth...that needs attention....can't do anything about it right now as DH goes in for surgery Monday morning.....taking some antibiotic hoping that will help til I can get to the dentist....there is nothing worse than tooth pain when you desperately trying to sleep. And why does it flair at night???

I'm currently working on a baby blanket for my niece....talk about life of its own...I can't make anything easy!

Everyone have a good day!
    Mary
    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

oh yes, still have 2 rather large UFO's I can't face to deal with the issues I haven't had time to figure out where they went so wrong LOL But I did get my 50's vintage dress sewn in May and entered 3 hours before the deadline tonight err last night?

I'd like to know too why teeth hurt so much more at night?! Are we done doing so many other things that they jump out when we clear our minds for sleep?

Not sure what is going on the sewing table next, clothing or quilts but sleep first

:-Debbie
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It's because you are laying down (increasing the blood pressure to the area) and your mind is clearing of everything else. Try some clove oil (small amt.) rubbed on the area.

That's exactly it May! Oh well. It will be what it is now. I am NOT messing with it anymore. I have too many other quilty things I want to do/finish that really matter.

I was woken up this morning by a sweet little face staring at me from the edge of the bed. Creepy! Apparently my daughter woke up early this morning. There wasn't much to hold her interest in the tent, and decided to come in and see what Mom was doing. Oh how I wanted another hour or so.
    Thank the good Lord for coffee! Now to see about a batch of blueberry banana bread muffins.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My first queen sized quilt started out as a Beginning Quilting class project lap quilt and ended up being a queen sized quilt with two pillow shams and a throw pillow.

It is like it was alive and growing. But it is done now and I am sleeping under it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think that sometimes the fabric talks to us to tell us what it wants to be - have changed quilts completely from original concept while working on them.........

Sorry about the sore teeth - ow!
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.