Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: material panic

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default material panic

I've tried and tried. I've read articles and watch videos. But, the minute I walk into a fabric store I suffer overload and can't figure out what materials to put together for my first quilt top.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: material panic

Just order a cute charm pack on a Daily deal here and start with a simple patchwork for your first project.
    Sondra J.

3. Thanks momma_b thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya dear! That was the reason I ordered my first purchase from Missouri Star about a year and a half ago. The Pre-cuts take all the guess work out of matching for you. I have since made many, many orders from here, but I am finally getting a little more confident in choosing fabrics to go together now, I think you just have to work with fabrics for awhile to kind of get a feel for what you like.
    Miss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

5. Thanks momma_b thanked for this post
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

I've actually been considering that very approach so that someone else has to do the thinking. Something else I've looked at was buying a block of the month pre-cut package. In all honesty, I guess I'm also frustrated because I want to start "too big" and trying something more challenging that something a newbie should stitch. In reality I know I should go with a simple 9 patch or something, but I've got a list of about 50 different blocks I want to try and make "sometime". SIGH...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Watch some MSQC tutorials and figure out which quilt to make then order the appropriate pre cuts. Good luck!

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

This is all Jenny's fault anyway! I had never had an urge to quilt until I wondered across a MSQC youtube tutorial. LOL!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same fears when I first started so I bought a kit that included the pattern and the fabrics. I found that it gave me the opportunity to learn the techniques of quilting without the burden of choosing coordinating fabrics.
    Judy

10. Thanks momma_b thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing you can do is do a pattern that has only has only about four or five fabrics. I actually like them better sometimes. Start with something simple.This isn't mine,but I still love the simplicity of it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	squares.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	77434

Lorie

12. Thanks momma_b thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you live in Western Washington, I'll take you to a shop and get you over your fear!!!!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

14. Thanks momma_b thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Well first of all you are not alone...I think everyone who first starts out has the same feelings. I took a class where we were all going to make the same 9 block wall hanging.....it was amazing to see how we each chose different fabrics yet made all the same blocks. We were taught to choose a main "focus" fabric with a medium to large print and then pulled colors out of that as our accent fabrics.
    Mot only did we learn about color but also learned how to make 9 different blocks. It was really a fun class. Good Luck and keep us posted. Patti

16. Thanks momma_b thanked for this post