Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Half square triangles formula

Ok so then this method has to be QST's just like I previously thought ....so why is everyone calling Jenny's method (including Jenny) HST??? Hence why I am confused

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sew_Silly View Post
    Ok so then this method has to be QST's just like I previously thought ....so why is everyone calling Jenny's method (including Jenny) HST??? Hence why I am confused
    Because you end up with 4 HSTs (one square, two different fabrics each), not QST (one square, four different fabrics each).
    Also see Jean's post.
    Last edited by Cat77; June 4th, 2014 at 06:52 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Because they are Half Square Triangles. The name comes from the finished product, NOT how many times you cut into it.

A HST consists of two triangles sewn together which finishes in a square. It doesn't matter if you take 57 pieces of fabric, sew them all together and cut them apart 83 different ways, if two triangles that result make a square, then it is a half square triangle.

If it takes 4 triangles together to make a square then it is a quarter square triangle.

Finished product. Not what you begin with.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I re-watched the video "Half Square Triangle Quilt Using the Four Seasons Block" and read the link you posted Jean and I think I get it. The long outside edges that you normally would have just cutting a square into 4 quadrants corner to corner is now on the inside using Jenny's HST method here. The legs of the HST's are still short as they are if just cutting a square corner to corner, but you still end up with bias edges on the outside of the block. Right?

Would a beginner like myself want to chance bias on the outside of a block? I think if I want quick half square triangles I best use the Magic 8 method or just stick to my Fons and Porter Half and Quarter Square Triangle Ruler

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wanting to try the magic 8 but I have too much in front of me. I think I will try it just for a practice run for now. It does look cool though doesn't it.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like working with the bias so I use Eleanor Burns QUilt in a Day method. You cut squares 1/2 inch larger than the finished size of the HST... meaning if you want a HST to be 8 inches when sewn into the quilt.. you need to make them 1 inch larger....1/2 inch for the middle seam to make the HST and 1/2 inch for the final seam allowance for sewing assembly. So... for a finished 8 inch block once sewn into the quilt, you need an HST that is 8,1/2x8,1/2. So you cut 2 squares that are 9x9. Place them face together, draw diagonal line corner to corner, sew on each side and cut on line. now you have 2 HST's that measure 8,1/2x8,1/2. When you sew these HST's into the quilt...finished the HST will be 8x8. Rule of thumb...cut the HST squares 1 inch bigger than you want the assembled HST to be. For every seam you add 1/2 in. In this case there are 2 seams... one for making the HST and one for assembling the HST into the quilt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I re-watched the video "Half Square Triangle Quilt Using the Four Seasons Block" and read the link you posted Jean and I think I get it. The long outside edges that you normally would have just cutting a square into 4 quadrants corner to corner is now on the inside using Jenny's HST method here. The legs of the HST's are still short as they are if just cutting a square corner to corner, but you still end up with bias edges on the outside of the block. Right?

Would a beginner like myself want to chance bias on the outside of a block? I think if I want quick half square triangles I best use the Magic 8 method or just stick to my Fons and Porter Half and Quarter Square Triangle Ruler
    I don't like dealing with the bias...scroll down a bit and I tell how I do it...works like a charm and is assembly line fast! Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day method. Yes, you make them 2 at a time instead of 4 at a time, but there is no bias and you just zip through sewing them down a straight line! HST's are my favorite block piece to make..so many options to creat with them

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

I have a panel that is 12 inches for a block that I want to put a star of half square triangles around to form a completed block. What size would I cut the half square triangle to fit this panel?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sew Silly, to avoid bias edges, I use either the two at a time, or the Magic 8 method.

Which method I choose will depend on how many duplicate HST I want, what size I want them, and if I'm using yardage vs a precut fabric (i.e. layer cakes/charms/etc)