Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Question How do you choose fabric online?

Many of us like to buy our fabric online. But how do you choose your coordinating fabrics? I don't find it too easy to see which fabrics match, as colours in real life may always be slightly different from what you see on screen.
    One method is obviously to buy precuts, another to simply order fabrics from the same line.

But how do you "wildly" choose and match fabrics? Have you developped any fool-proof methods?

Things I have tried so far:

• I check hawethornethreads.com, they usually offer some coordinating fabrics and threads for a fabric line (if you are on the description site of a fabric, click on "collection", the whole collection will show up, plus coordinating threads, fabrics and which precuts are sold).
    • I copy paste the pictures of the fabric into a word document, minimize them a bit and copy all other fabrics that I think will match next to it and see if I like the combined colours. I have done it for my last quilt (all batiks) and it worked quite well. In the end I decided to leave two out, but at least these two match each other.

Soooo, let's hear your tricks and tips!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How do you choose fabric online?

I usually buy fabrics from the same collection and usually Moda fabrics. Moda has a large selection of solids and blenders that are easy to fit in with the collections. I have made some goofs buying online. I bought two different layercakes plus yardage to go with them with out seeing the fabrics have some metalic threads. Not my style except for Christmas projects.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I like the was MSQ show every design to show you what you will get in a roll/layer cake. . I like the related yardage under the main item but a few Bella solids that would go with it would be nice-think MSQ do this on the precut page they have.
    I am having to order online and have received some things that had I seem in person I would not have picked up,for example
    I just ordered a FQ set of 12 Kaffe Fasset cool from another store and was disappointed in their selection, (you could not really see the actual selection clearly, though all from the same collection, but the set included 3 design repeats in different color ways, 2 in another and none at all of other IMHO nicer designs. Now I see MSQ has a lovely range on the same collection on offer and some great prints in it, kicking myself I have my others so can't justify buying more. Though I am thinking the soso prints could be used for backing table runners/lining bags made fromt he fabrics I really do like. Sorry slightly off from your original post.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I stick with Moda precuts and buy the matching yardage. Always good.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Many site offer a "design wall" for putting fabrics you like then seeing them together and eliminating.. I have a friend that spends hrs. doing this..LOL
    ME,,, I by on very good sale pricing,, then board it and stick it in the fabric shelves... exactly why I try not to look anymore...I do love the process of picking from what I have acquired over my 40plus years of sewing... but I rarely follow patterns,, mostly take Jenny's tuts and give then a try with what I have!! Or make something up along the way..LOL
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I have used "Thousands of Bolts and Only One Nut" website. They have something called Color Matcher and it has really worked. You just click on a portion of whatever you want to match and they come up with all kinds of fabrics in just that color. They also have a place for a design wall and blocks to test out what the fabrics might look like. I usually always order their Moda solids to match whatever print I have ordered. Whenever I order a print fabric from somewhere else, I usually have a stash on hand of solids that I know I can pretty much match up.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've just checked out the colour matcher on Thousands of Bolts. It's great, thanks for the link!

Unfortunately, they don't have the Riley Blake fabric I've been eyeing lately...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If I can't order from the fabric line for coordinating fabric I take it to the ladies at my LQS and they help me pick the coordinating fabric or backing!!
    My friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Bella Solids Swatch Card from Fat Quarter Shop and I love it! It takes out all the guess work. I have to rely solely on ordering online so this was really worth it for me. Here's a link... Bella Solids Color CardModa Fabrics | Fat Quarter Shop

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    I bought a Bella Solids Swatch Card from Fat Quarter Shop and I love it! It takes out all the guess work. I have to rely solely on ordering online so this was really worth it for me. Here's a link... Bella Solids Color CardModa Fabrics | Fat Quarter Shop
    I use this as well but I got mine from thousandsofbolts.com. Very helpful with choosing a solid to go with a daily deal.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]