Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Question Tired of this project...you, too?

2014 is supposed to be my year to finish up most, if not ALL of my UFOs! It's an ambitious endeavor, but I'm more than half-way there, which gives me lots of hope! But, now I'm coming to a stand-still...I just can't get into this project...

I'm working on a scrappy pioneer braid quilt. It's been started for about 2 years and gets pieced column by column. As of this week, I have 3/15 columns completed. More than half of the brick and square units are already cut out...it's just the piecing. It's tedious and continuously piecing onto the long columns is cumbersome about 1/3 of the way through. I usually don't feel this way about scrappy projects, and I love this pattern (complete), but I'm really struggling to get through it!

On top of that, it's the only project I have accessible at the moment. Usually, I would put it away again for a bit and work on something else, but, with the contractors in the house working on my new studio (and the rest of the basement remodel) I can't get to much else.

Do you have one of these projects? One that you'd really like to finish and you know you'll love once it's done, but it's just a struggle to get through it? Any suggestions???
    Piecing on Bernina 820
    Longarm quilting on APQS Millenium

Please visit me at
    My Blog "Peachy Pages".

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tired of this project...you, too?

I would work on another project - even if it meant buying something new. I know you are trying to get UFO's done, but if you work on something new and fresh, even a small project like a tablerunner, it will help you get past the block you are experiencing now.

Good luck - would love to see a picture!
    Donna

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Keep going at it Heather! Yesterday I had a potential UFO. It's a dolphin fabric with some greeny swirly fabric. It's a large D9P and not really my choice of fabric but I fancied a change. I beagan to lose interest in it but was determind toget it finished or it would end up haunting me in the UFO pile (what pile?). I decided to quilt it in a sort of side to side meander like water. It took a day and a half and it nearly killed me.

But it's DONE!

Perhaps you could an hour and a half each day then reward yourself by working on another project.

And lets see some pictures!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I had that happen a few times, started out top speed and for some reason just lost the desire to even look at it...so my solution to myself was to keep it out and do 15 minutes a day...pretty soon it was done!

Jo

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

YES! I have two of them actually. They are like thorns in your side but you are right, once they are done they are done they are usually quite lovely.
    Finished is way better than perfect!

Missouri Star

Along the Illinois river-Central Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like

I have several in my UFO pile. And like you I've decided to get them finished. I've set aside 2 blocks to finish up each day.. Or whenever I can find time to get to the sewing machine. Everything is cut out, just needs to be sewn together (boring). But I want to finish up this "grandma's garden" quilt. I have the main body done and quilted.. but it needs to be bigger to fit a double bed.

Thus My short stints in the sewing area.. And an extra machine for the Dresden quilt.. Gosh I hope I don't have to have a machine for every quilt that needs to be finished... that would just be crazy!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have one right now trying to get the piano key border on correctly. It has been sitting in a closet for over a year now. I was tired of it, so I started some new projects and am completed several smaller projects instead. Eventually I will finish it; as soon as I get over my current quilting slump.
    Linda
    "Home is where they love you"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am working on one that is taking forever. It was in a magazine in a lap size and I decided to make it a king. I made a bunch of anvil blocks and measured them, decided I needed lots more but when I measured I didn't take into account the sashing so I have many too many blocks. I guess I will end up with a king and pillow shams plus lots of extras still. Maybe some purses or another quilt, LOL.
    I really do want to get it done to put on our bed this fall since it is made from a Foliage layer cake.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

If it doesn't take a lot of concentration, put on some music that makes you move - for me it's country cause I love to dance. That always helps me get done with something I don't want to work on - house cleaning, painting - things like that.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Hallman View Post
    I am working on one that is taking forever. It was in a magazine in a lap size and I decided to make it a king. I made a bunch of anvil blocks and measured them, decided I needed lots more but when I measured I didn't take into account the sashing so I have many too many blocks. I guess I will end up with a king and pillow shams plus lots of extras still. Maybe some purses or another quilt, LOL.
    I really do want to get it done to put on our bed this fall since it is made from a Foliage layer cake.
    You could always use them for the back as well.
    Something along these lines:
    Name:  55bb049d2cd00b7350a2a8756496c5b5.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  14.3 KB

or: