Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hobbs heirloom 100% cotton

I would definitely contact the company (like Cyndi said) and see what their response is. We're curious as to their response and hope you let us know. Had some problems with Read Heart yarn and they responded quickly and very positively by replacing the yarn. They also let me know what caused the problem.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No, what bad luck! Hope that third company gets back to you soon!

If you really want to start quilting it now, I would re-think the pieced-batting idea. I have recently used one and it was pretty easy and fast (just zig-zagged over the two pieces, if they are not perfectly straight just overlap the two an inch where they need to be joined, cut through both layers and voilà!: perfectly well aligned batting pieces) and I can't tell where it is in the finished quilt now. Looks and feels the same everywhere!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I would call Hobbs, explain the problem, offer to email the picture. I bet they will tell you to keep the batt and will replace it and maybe even offer you something extra...you never know. You can then trim this batt and use it for smaller projects.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The shipper is supposed to contact me within 48 hrs. If they won't take it back I will contact Hobbs directly. I was able to find a king size warm and natural at Joann's and it was 1/2 price. I often piece backings but I didn't want to mess with one this big. Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know the outcome. I think I might still have enough time to get it sandwiched and start pin basting tonight.
    Vernona

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the shipper said I can return it but I have to pay shipping and they won't refund the shipping I already paid. Bummer. I'm not sure it's worth it since shipping will probably be $10 or 15 and my refund would only be $24. I think I will probably try to contact Hobbs and offer to send them pictures. I can't use it as is but as Denis suggested I could cut it up.
    Vernona

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A bad review for them is going to cost them so much more than shipping would cost them. I would also put in a formal complaint about the seller to amazon. Hope it turns out well when you call hobbs
    Karen
    Life is short - live it up while you can

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I would contact the manufacturer
    Joan

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I buy my batting from either Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's and use a coupon. They offer either 40% or 50% off regular price item. Great deal. Sorry about your batting. It does look like mold or mildew.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have encountered this before and I think it's grease from the machines involved with making the batting. I would not use it. I tried to purchase Pellon batting sold by the roll at Joann's, 4 yards of it. Just prior to checkout, luckily the batting was folded, I saw spots just like yours on the batting. Needless to say, I didn't buy it. Same thing happened from a different roll (different store), and I returned it. You are buying this new, so it should be new.
    See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hold that portion of the batting over the sink and douse with white vinegar. If it's mold, it will kill it and it should wash out when laundered. If it's grease, sometimes it will break it down. I know. My husband is a mechanic. If you don't like the results, just rinse it out and you can package it back up if they will let you return it. If not, you can cut it up and use it for smaller quilts, eliminating the stained part.

11. Thanks vchale thanked for this post