Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    The Guild President

Searching for inspiration :) in other words... I'm here!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Giveaway Week 20 May 17th - 23rd

Congratulations to Gailgigi! You just won 1000 Quilters Cash Points!! Gail's a newbie to the forum so everyone give her a big welcome! We're so glad you and your mom had a Happy Mother's Day!

This week tell me your best tip for a new sew-er. Or if you're new to sewing you're self, tell me your first random concerns.

You see, I'm supposed to be teaching my daughters to sew and I want to know what you think the best tips are or since their my daughters and they don't like to tell me what they're really worried about, I need to know the real concerns of our new quilters. So, lay it on me! What does a new quilter need info or comfort as she approaches her first piles of fabric and thread!

To enter the game just hit the reply to thread button at the topor bottom of this page and answer the question! You only get oneentry per contest round. A winner will be chosen by random selectionin about a week to win our next 1000 Quilters Cash Points!
    Then watch your private messages cause I might be sending one yourway!
    To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Giveaway Week 20 May 17th - 23rd

i know when i first started it was very important for me to clearly mark my fabric and to pin.i would also say relax and expect to make mistakes,nobody is perfect.
    Joan

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Keep your fingers away from the moving needle!
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Your sewing experience will be more enjoyable if you're using the proper tools. First and foremost, make sure you own a walking foot and a 1/4" seam foot with guide on the side. There are lots of tools. Get advice as to which ones are essential to own. Youtube will be your best friend as well as your friends here on the Forum. Both are great sources for information. The Forum is full of experienced quilters who can answer any question you might have. I find lots of inspiration in many places - Youtube, blogs, quilting sites, the MSQC Forum, and Google "images" is a great place to see lots of visuals for many quilts you might consider making.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Put a piece of tape on your 1/4 inch mark to assist guiding . All of your seams need to be consistent for your blocks to fit together nicely. Take your time. No one sews " with speeds of Jenny " without lots and lots of practice!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

The best tip I heard was on Fons & Porter tips section. It's called a spider, it just a small piece of fabric that you sew on and off of. Use it at the beginning and the end of doing chain piecing or sewing a quilt top rows together, it saves your bobbin thread and you don't have to change it so often.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations to Gailgigi!

For a brand new sewer - quilter, bag maker or dress maker: Start small and start with something simple. Build your comfort level first. Starting with a queen quilt where matching seams are important, or sewing a zippered multi-pocket bag or formal gown is just setting yourself up for disaster.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

To go along with Karen, make sure you keep your fingers out of the way of the rotary blade.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

It might sound a bit corny but the first thing I would say to a newcomer is that the only "right way" to do something is the way that you're comfortable with. There is a lot of valuable information around, some of it conflicting. Weigh up the options then choose whatever you feel comfortable with. It may be a bit of a long-winded way but if you're happy with it then it's the "right way".

Congratulations Gailgigi. Happy shopping.

Another tip - if I may. Remember the galloping horse and the 3 foot rule. Both are the mainstay of my patchwork life and I bless them every time I'm at my sewing machine. Enjoy the journey.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

My Granddaughters first project was a pillow. She picked the fabric and a very simple bordered square. She finished in one afternoon and had a pillow on her bed that night.