Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why do most not want to talk prcing on machines

Quote Originally Posted by KROQnK9s View Post
    Yup. I've been using my $139 Costco Brother machine for 3 years now. But I'm enjoying this thread because I want to upgrade. Mainly for more throat space. It's interesting to find out that it is like car shopping.
    I thank the people who are sharing pricing info. I was at Quiltcon & they had classroom demo machines for sale. I was helping clean up & the lady mentioned a price for a Janome 8900 that was under 2000 but I had no frame of reference to know if it was a good deal. So this thread helps.
    Shellie,

I am in Canada, and the 8900 is usually around Canadian$2,500 new. I paid Canadian$2,000 for mine in November, but it was a floor model.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snip Snip View Post
    Just want to let the newbies out there know that it IS possible to sew and quilt on a $179 Singer.
    And basic machines are a great way to start out (and keep going!) with minimal investment. The cheap machines built in the last few years are all generally pretty good, just lacking in features. And some of those long ago high end features have started to trickle down to low end machines.

Can I just add that, though I am a rabid deal hunter, for sewing machines there are so many variables that all my tricks and bargaining tactics generally don't apply. I hate the whole sewing sales thing, it's worse than buying a car!

For buying off amazon, I'd use a price tracker and wait for that rock bottom price, it just makes sense. But a dealer, well, there is likely a future relationship to be had as well as realizing that they are usually a small business that you would want to help keep in business by not bargaining down to their last penny of profit.

The value of a dollar spent at a dealer is different in my opinion. Did you spend $250 more or less than someone else somewhere else? If you feel taken advantage of, that's one thing. But if you love the dealer, take the offered classes, know they can fix your machine and get you back to sewing, know you're supported by them, etc., the price you pay is irrelevant. If it's a rude dealer, you're worried they're going out of business, yada yada, you're probably just after a simple transaction and would never be back in the shop if your life depended on it, so bargain away. But in a good shop, the bargaining should be for mutual benefit -- they want you happy, they want you coming back, maybe they can help you into a slightly better machine for near the same price.

As has been mentioned, it is possible to find people willing to divulge what they paid. It just takes a bit of work, all part of bargain hunting. Sometimes we just need or want a machine right now, and while theoretically we could finagle a better price, sometimes the timing isn't right and part of the extra cost incurred is buying it right now from the dealer we want to go back to.

Quilting/ sewing is generally a hobby. The price paid for materials has no relationship to the joy we get out of it or the joy we give others from it! Unless one has a tight budget or is worried they're being hoodwinked out of $1000 extra, in my mind the cost of a sewing machine just has no dollar amount on it.

That said, I'm once again out of the market for a more fully featured sewing machine, life just happens sometimes. And happens again when you least expect it. Very happy with my basic Singer from Target that was a gift when I was down and out without a working machine. I have to put the needle down and raise the presser foot myself, but if you look at my stitches you wouldn't know they didn't come from a high end machine.

The whole point is to be able to sew, and that in itself is absolutely priceless.

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought my Elna 720 about 18 months ago for just under $1800 USD. Have thoroughly enjoyed FMQ and piecing on it. Love the accufeed for ditch work and binding too (yes, I paid almost $50 for that special stitch-in-ditch accufeed foot but worth it) just wish it had better visibility behind needle but otherwise good machine. Probably could have done $200 better if I shopped around but I liked my LQS owner who is Elna subdealer, so.... But don't like that Elna won't post MSRP - after all its owned by Janome and Janome does for lot of their machines. Think next one will be a Juki for that reason alone.

Applique Angel

St Joseph, Missouri - about 50 min from M*.
    Post Thanks / Like

I should have said earlier that I hate haggling! New sewing machine, new car or whatever! Drove my last car 13 years just for that reason. Went into a dealer in OPKS on 87th (that should narrow is down) looking for Juki 2010q since he is a Juki dealer 18 months ago. Asked him if he bad the machine - didn't even ask about price - and he proceeded to yell - yes yell - at me about price and the internet competition etc. I was offended and just a bit afraid (he just kept stepping into my face). It took me awhile to settle down and basically I went elsewhere and paid more for a different machine just because the shop owner was so lovely about it. Terrible reason too pay more but.... My next machine will be one from a manufacturer that isnt afraid to post MSRP and a seller that puts prices on the display models so I have a starting point.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

First let me say that there is not a Janome dealer within MILES of where we live. When my DH started talking about buying me a new machine for Christmas ( I've never had a NEW machine, only used) I started doing a lot of checking and calling and planning a trip around where we could get the best deal. And I agree, location must be everything. We paid $1999 plus tax for a brand new in the box Janome 8900. I got a free gift bag with my choice of three presser feet that amounted to about $60.00. And 20% off anything in the store that day. He had a great selection of backings and bought three pieces for quite a bargain. Granted it was about 300 miles away, but we had a wonderful long weekend trip. The gentleman also was able to answer questions about my 11000 embroidery machine that really fixed issues I'd been having. I guess if I ever need service we'll just go again. Basically got a three-year warranty on everything. Obviously prices vary a great deal.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my Janome 8900 last summer as a "year end model", and paid $2500.00 for it. The new ones were coming out soon, so the dealer was moving out the older model. I love my machine!

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nwmnteacher View Post
    I bought my Janome 8900 last summer as a "year end model", and paid $2500.00 for it. The new ones were coming out soon, so the dealer was moving out the older model. I love my machine!

I payed 1870€ for my Janome 8900 QCP SE dollar and euro are more or less the same these days. I got some threats and a spool stand as a bonus. I used it now 4 weeks and I love it, but I have to do more research to find out all the possibilities she has
    Find me on Instagram @auntie_uli

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I went back in and got the Performance 5. I asked for a cash price and he went down a little more. After tax and with rebate it will come out around $2100. I am happy with that compared to what I have seen. I wanted it now to enjoy rather than waiting for it to go down more. I have seen the rumor a newer version of this machine will be out in a year or so with a few more features, but I want to sew things with it now so I feel it was a good deal. You can't put a price on experience and enjoyment. ;-)

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Sears Kenmore back in 90 or 91. I think i paid 89 or so for it. Still runs and i am used to the weird noises it makes. wish i could get a new one. not in the budget now and probably not in the future either.
    I LOVE JESUS