Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leaders and Enders?

Saw a post on a quilting Facebook site and the ladies were going on and on about leaders and enders.....just what is that?
    "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Leaders and Enders?

It's a term used by Bonnie Hunter (Quiltville.com) She is almost always chain piecing and has something under her needle. For example, she will have a stack of squares that she is eventually making into 4 patches next to her machine and as she finishes the chain piecing for the quilt she is working on, she sews 2 of the squares together, cuts off the chain piecing she was doing and leaves those squares under the needle. She explains it better than I do.
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Scroll past the first couple of sentences about her book and read Bonnie's explanation.

Leaders And Enders

4. Thanks Michelle M thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

OK....I get it now. I don't chain piece too often. I am too OCD about seeing my pieces pressed and somewhat together as I go.
    "She who dies with the most fabric wins"

Ecclesiastes 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."

Julie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just read that she is planning a quiltcam session tomorrow at 9 pm EST.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use enders, but the "leaders" were called "granny squares" by my quilting instructor. She provided scraps for us to use in class. I use them all the time, not just when chain piecing. It's a small, folded scrap of fabric--it doesn't have to be square-- (I usually press mine) that you use to begin sewing with. It makes for smooth sewing on to your fabric. I turn them at the proper angle when sewing snowballs or flying geese. When the granny squares get filled with too much thread, I pitch them & use a new one. I keep a little basket of these by my machine. JCY

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Your "granny squares" aren't quite the same thing as Bonnie's "leaders and enders". The granny squares are scraps that you use over and over again and eventually discard. Leaders/enders are parts of a project totally separate from the quilt you're currently working on. The difference is instead of discarding thread and scraps, you're actually making something.

HTH

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...wouldn't you have to do a heck of a lot of chain piecing (and quilting), to get enough leaders and enders to make a whole quilt out of them? For someone who doesn't quilt professionally (like most of us), it could take a whole life to get one decent sized quilt out of it....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sister uses scrap squares when she starts sewing. Her purpose is so the material doesn't get pulled down the throat plate if the fabric is not under the presser foot far enough.
    I have a Janome 7700 and that happened to me, I put my fabric under the throat plate to start sewing and the fabric got pulled into the hole in the throat plate and upset the bobbin case and I could not pull up my bobbin thread cause I damaged something trying to get the fabric out of the hole. When I took the machine in for repair the dealer told me to always start in far enough with my fabric under the throat plate before I start sewing.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Leaders and enders aren't just for chain piecing. If you begin stitching on a little scrap of fabric and then transition to the 'real' seam your machine is less likely to eat the ends of your thread . The same thing for ending. If you use an ender this helps with your seam staying consistent at the very end. I tend to go a little narrow at the end of a seam if I don't use and ender.